1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen, safe mode and bootable cd problem?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 19Vuk91, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 19Vuk91

19Vuk91 Thread Starter

Hello!
    So, my problems:
    1. After the XP loading screen, the screen goes blank [but the computer is still working].
    2. Safe Mode stops when it comes to mup.sys [I checked over the net how to fix this problem, but there occurs another one]
    3. When I inserted the XP cd, it starts loading, it comes to the screen where I can choose between Fresh Copy of Windows, Repair and Exit, and both Fresh Copy and Repair freeze at "Examining ... of disk space"

So, any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thx in advance!
    Cheers!
    V.

2. ShortHairyManc

ShortHairyManc

Try going into safe mode w/ command prompt.
    At the command prompt try:
    chkdsk /r /f

3. 19Vuk91

19Vuk91 Thread Starter

Yes, tried that also, and again freezes at mup.sys :/

4. ShortHairyManc

ShortHairyManc

hmmm try this:

1) make sure mouse is connected via usb
    2) enter safe mode
    3) when it hangs at mup.sys unplug your mouse
    4) it should then probably bypass the mup.sys and boot into safe mode
    5) then restart

5. 19Vuk91

19Vuk91 Thread Starter

I just tried that, both with normal safe mode and with safe mode with command prompt. and again nothing.. why am I suspecting on the graphic card?
    Thank you ShortHairyManc for the tries.

6. 19Vuk91

19Vuk91 Thread Starter

Yes, I forgot to mention what happened before that.. One day before, my computer suddenly started freezing.. It worked normally for 15-20 minutes, and then just freezed. It was still turned on, but I couldn't move the mouse, and the num lock on the keyboard wasn't blinking as it usually did. I checked the computer, and found that the problem was in RAM memory, so I bought a new one. The next day, the computer started to work very very slowly, with restarting itself several times. After one or two hours, it would just turn off. So, I checked in BIOS and found that the temperature of the CPU went up to 85C. So, I lifted up the CPU cooler, and added the paste [or that white cream, whatever] and checked BIOS again, and the temperature was as usual [40-45C]. Then came this problem, that wouldn't allow me to go through the XP loading screen. Hope I shed some additional light to the problem.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7. ShortHairyManc

ShortHairyManc

Did you clean off the existing heatsink paste properly and apply a new thin layer?

Also, is part of your heatsink clip broken so maybe one corner is loose. This could cause less contact causing overheating/freezing/shutdown issues.

8. 19Vuk91

19Vuk91 Thread Starter

Yes, I checked everything, and the problem is the same..

9. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx Do a scan here and make sure the computer is recognizing the new RAM that was installed . Did you install the right one ?

If you cannot use the computer having the problem there is a feature at the site where you type in the make and model and it will tell you what amount can be installed in there .

10. 19Vuk91

19Vuk91 Thread Starter

Well, I can't get to the site through my computer, because it freezes before it gets to the desktop. But, it does recognize the new RAM, I checked it in BIOS, and it says I have 3GB of RAM.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice