1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen when I enable my display drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neumadr, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neumadr

neumadr Thread Starter

Bought this laptop a few weeks ago for college and although I didn't really want Vista, I decided to try it out. Sure enough, my computer has weird hang up issues with Vista (hangs up for no reason every few seconds and gets worse with more programs on screen). I decided to go back to Win XP. I found a system restore disk from an older Gateway laptop and reformatted the driver with Win XP SP2 Media Center Edition.

So far things have been going good. I wrote down almost all of the drivers that the computer had come with when Vista was still running so I could reinstall any missing drivers. Wireless and sound with the first two most obvious and easy installations.

However, I noticed I didn't have a display driver. I had the "Intel 945GM Express Chipset" display drivers when Vista was running, so I went and downloaded and installed from the Intel driver website. However, when I rebooted the computer and after Win XP's boot up screen, the screen went blank while I could hear Windows boot up and the OS was clearly running with just the display driver problem.

Vista had been running at 1440x900 resolution. However I booted the computer into safemode and disabled the drivers. Then I booted XP up normally and could Enable the drivers with Windows running. The screen flickered and all was OK and I could go into my Settings and change the resolution. I decided to pick the max resolution it would now let me which was consideraby higher than 1440x900 that had been the max when Vista was running.

So apparently whenever I reboot with the drivers enabled, they must be trying to apply a higher resolution than the 1440x900 max res of my laptop's screen.

Any ideas?

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    You can do to Device Manager, open up the Display Adaptors, right click on your display hardware, click on uninstall and then - ignoring all the warnings of doom - uninstall the hardware.

Reboot the PC and see if Windows picks up the right driver.

3. neumadr

neumadr Thread Starter

For an update, booted up XP with the Display Adapters disabled and enabled them live which allowed me to kick up the resolution beyond XP's native max. I ended up trying out 1440x900 which was the resolution the laptop was running at (max) when I first got it when it had Vista.

NOW when I try 1440x900, the screen goes blank.

I've uninstalled them and will reboot, but I don't understand how Windows is suddenly going to be able to "pick up the right drivers."

BTW I say "Drivers" because since this laptop is a Dual Core, chipset related drivers seems to have two instances of the driver.

4. neumadr

neumadr Thread Starter

Since there's a decent amount to read, here's a resummary.

- I bought this Gateway MX8734 Dual Core laptop a few weeks ago with Vista preinstalled.
    - I used an older Gateway restore disk that has Win XP SP2 Media Center Edition to reformat the drive and install XP.
    - All my drivers (obtained thru Gateway and Intel's websites) are working EXCEPT my Display Adapter driver.
    - I installed the same display adapter my computer was running with Vista (1440x900 resolution max). The driver is also compatible with XP.
    - When I set the resolution any higher than the native default XP max (1024x768) the screen goes blank.

I want to run at 1440x900 as I was before reformatting over Vista, otherwise everything is running as smooth if not smoother than it was on Vista.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice