1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arcie, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

Advertisement
  1. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Good Morning, I am a new member and hope I am not listing my question in a wrong group. I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4587 laptop. Awhile back I had a problem with it and brought it to a computer shop and they told me the motherboard was bad and showed me a IC that had a dimple on the top of it. I have had the computer sitting around and decided I would try to fix it myself. I do have a electronics background. I replaced the motherboard and it still didn't boot up. So I swapped and re-seated my RAM, bought a new CPU and inverter board and still no display. I also put my hard drive from the working unit into the now working unit and it didn't help. I did hook up that computer to this (working) computer to see if I would get a display on the working computer with a VGA cable and didn't get one. I believe I hooked it up properly. I had the working computer turned off when connected to the non working computer turned on. I also reversed the process and turned the working computer on and had the non working computer off and I didn't get any display on the non working unit. I do have power to the non working unit and the fan does work and charges. I had read that it could be the CMOS battery. I don't know if it would be the display since I didn't get it when I hooked it up to the other computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much for any input you can give me

Regards
    Arcie

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi Arcie and welcome to TSG.

You should connect an external Monitor to the laptop then turn the laptop on and see if you get a display on the Monitor. Is that what you did ?

What is the 'working computer' ?

4. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Good Evening Managed and thank you for getting back to me. I turned on the computer that has the blank screen and connected a VGA cable from that computer to my laptop that is working okay. I had that computer turned off. The computer that is the working computer is a Toshiba as well. I didn't get anything on the computer. So I reversed it and turned on the computer that isn't getting a display and turned off the computer that is working okay.
    Hope this helps and clarifies what I'm doing. Do appreciate your help

Regards

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Trying to use a laptop connected to another computer that way will not work, the VGA socket on the laptop is for output of the video only not input.

Is the no display computer a laptop ?

6. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Good Morning Managed,
    The no display computer is a laptop. And I did connect from laptop to laptop.
    Arcie

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi Arcie,

As I said that won't work, the video socket's on laptop's are outputs only.

You need to connect a Monitor to the laptop with the blank screen.

8. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Thank you Managed I have a Monitor from a Dell desktop so will see if I can hook it up to the laptop

9. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Need to pick up a VGA extension cable and should have it later today

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, good luck with that, let me know if it works.

11. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Hi Managed, Well unfortunately it didn't work. Got the extension cable and hooked it up directly to the monitor from the VGA connector on the laptop and turned on the laptop and nothing. As I mentioned originally, I did replace the motherboard and display inverter board. I reseated the RAM and put the RAM from my other Toshiba laptop in and nothing. Replaced the CPU and changed the hard drive with the one working in my other laptop. So any ideas would definitely be appreciated.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Usually the monitor should come on but there may be a function key that switches between the laptop's own screen and an external monitor. Look for a symbol like a laptop and/or a TV screen on one of the top row of keys, if present press it on it's own a few times; then again after holding down the Fn key first.

The only other thing I can think of is removing the Cmos battery from the motherboard for a few minutes to reset the Bios, that might work, it has for me in the past.

EDIT : can you hear or see the fan spin up after switching on ?

123Zbyniek likes this.
  13. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

In Toshiba A200 --> Fn + F5
    upload_2018-6-16_13-19-44.png

managed likes this.
  14. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Good Morning Allan and 123 Zbyniek,

Well did hook up the laptop to the external monitor again and did hit the F5 key several times and than tried with holding down the FN key and F5 key and still nothing. The CMOS battery on this model is soldered to the board so will measure the voltage and also unsolder it and resolder it. Really do appreciate all your help. Has to be a reason and as you state: 'To err is human but to really foul things up you need a computer' - Paul R. Ehrlich ..... have a good day will let you know how I make out with the CMOS

Regards, Bob

15. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

I appreciate that you changed other components after this, but DID IT THEN boot
    Even if there is no display on the screen or the external monitor, is there hard drive activity on the led on the front panel

16. Arcie

Arcie Thread Starter

Good Afternoon, No it still didn't boot up. The hard drive light on the front panel isn't lit the only lightson are the power on light and battery and AC power light.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice