1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DimCo88, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DimCo88

DimCo88 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Just trying to build my first system myself. It will be used for home/home office - word processing, spreadsheets, drawing, digital camera etc - application, nothing extreme.
    Connected everything according to the manuals/specs. HDD connected as master to IDE 1 (using m/board supplied round cable), CD-ROM/DVD as master to IDE2(using normal flat cable). Used Floppy drive from my old (dinosaur) P133 computer, as well as the monitor (eventually will switch to new one).

When I powered the system, the screen stays blank, there is small flicker at the moment when I turn the system power on. System power LED is on, P4 fan starts spinning the CD-ROM/DVD light blinks for few moments then goes off, the floppy drive light is on all the time, The front speaker “whistles” for 6-8 sec than is silent for 3-4, then goes on for another 6-8 sec that goes off for 3-4 and so on.

Took out the RADEON 9200SE AGP card out and inserted the old system VGA card in a PCI slot. The monitor is still blank.

The following also happens:
    Could not power of the system by de-pressing the front panel power switch – the only way to do that is to pull the power cord.
    JBAT1 jumper that is used for CMOS clearing is in position 2-3 (the manual describes this as “clear data”position, position 1-2 should be “keep data” position). When jumper is in 1-2 position I could not power the system, as well as I take out the jumper completely (none of the pins are “shorted”).
    Returning the jumper to position 2-3 allows me to power the system, but not to switch it of. If I power down the system by pulling the cable out, and reconnect it after few seconds the system will be powered up.
    If I disconnect the power cable and, use JBAT1 jumper to connect pins 1-2 that return iot back to pins 2-3 I can power the system using the front switch, but nor de-power. If I disconnect the power cable and reconnect (while the pins 2 & 3 are jumpered) the system will power itself up.

Replaced the memory from DIMM slot 1 to DIMM slot 2 - nothing changed.

I tried the monitor - it works with my laptop when connected to the VGA output in a sense that I can notice the something is happening on the screen.

I do not what to do next? Am I making some thing that is obviously wrong? IS my monitor/old VGA card (10+ years old) the problem. Both of them work OK in the old system.

Any advice will be appreciated

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Why not do a double check on your cables and jumpers:

Make sure you have the master and slave jumpers setup correctly on your hard drives. The jumper schematic is usually displayed on the top of the drive.

DO NOT mix the master and slave settings. For Example, do not mix Master and Cable Select on the same ribbon cable. If one is Master the other must be slave. If one is Cable Select, the other should also be Cable Select. (Please note that the majority of hard drives are factory default as Cable Select)

One needs also to make sure the drive is placed correctly on the ribbon cable as shown below:

M
    O
    T
    H ==Ribbon Cable=== Slave ===Master (end of cable)
    E
    R ..................................„» OR „º
    B
    O == Ribbon Cable==Cable Select==Cable Select (end of cable)
    A ..............................( as Slave)……. ( as Master)
    R
    D

Oh, also remember that the floppy cable red mark is put on opposite as the regular hard drivers. Otherwise, the red mark faces away from you as you work in the case.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

3. DimCo88

DimCo88 Thread Starter

I have checked them. They are OK (only one devioce per cable and both are set as masters). I'll be happy if I get to the stage when I'll be able to read a error message on the screen. When I was checking the monitor on my old PC it did not have floppy, nor HDD nor CD-ROM (as I took all these and put them in the new case). However I was able to see on the screen the the memory test etc, with error message saying that it could not detect any peripherals.
    As I said I will be more than happy if I get to this stage with teh new set-up.

4. Firah

Firah

DimCo88

Seems like you have more than one problem. But first, that M/B should be using an Award BIOS, which means the beeps you're getting could indicate bad RAM or RAM not seated properly.

See Beep Codes here.

What's the wattage of the PSU?

For a better test, dismantle everything, rest the M/B on a newspaper and connect PSU, CPU+HSF, one stick of RAM, video card, M/B speaker. Powerup and let's see what happens. However, with that CMOS jumper setting...it could be that the M/B is faulty. Is it a new board?

5. DimCo88

DimCo88 Thread Starter

Tanx guys,
    It was the damn IDE (ribbon) cable from the old machine.
    I could not have the new CD/DVD combo and the old CD-ROM connected using this cable properly (ie red line next to the drive power supply connector) as the connectors were facing the wrong way. So I thought if I reverse everithing (have the red line on the other (wrong) side on the IDE connector on the M/B and on the other (wrong) side on the CD-Rom/CDCombo everithing will be OK.

A$5 and new cable fixed the problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice