blank startup item

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

monted

there is a blank startup item in my startup tab when i run msconfig(XP). it only has the location(SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run), but no name or command.

does anyone know what this is?

Have you looked in the registry for that entry? Use regedt32 and navigate to that key under HKLM, then delete the value that is blank. It shouldn't cause any problem leaving it in the registry, but it won't hurt to remove it and end the confusion.

monted

the only entry in that "run" folder is something with an icon like a torn page with the letters "ab" in it and the word (Default) under name,the type is "REG_SZ,and (value not set) under Data. There are 14 entries in msconfig that have this location.

Don't delete the Default entry. It sounds like MSCONFIG is confused, just ignore it. Perhaps getting a new version of MSCONFIG is in order.

monted

how do i tell what version i have & how do i get a new one?

monted

i've got it disabled in msconfig, i can't tell any difference, but i gotta know what the heck it is!lol

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts