1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank wallpaper at power up - Explorer.exe does not load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fulmer, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fulmer

fulmer Thread Starter

When I switched on my PC, a box popped over the Login screen saying something like a file in the registry had gone bad & it had restored a previous registry from a log file which was successful.
    Well it wasn't a success, because after the login screen I only get blank wallpaper with no icons, start button or taskbar.
    Bringing up Task Manager reveals that explorer.exe is not listed. From File/New task (run) I typed Explorer, and also Explorer.exe with no luck. Could it have disappeared somehow?
    When I run System Restore I get a plain box, so I can't restore to a previous state.
    I can get onto the Internet by running ("C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk"), hence this message, and can use the PC, but not everything works - my favourites don't appear in IE, and media player gives an internal error message.
    I need to get explorer.exe back.
    Is there a default registry setting I can use?
    I tried Safe Mode & had no luck with the 'Previous good configuration' setting.
    I have Norton, so don't think it can be a virus.
    Am out of ideas now - it's turning into quite a challenge.

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

Try reinstalling explorer

3. hydro1

hydro1

I am having the same problem. How do I re-install explorer? Where do I find it?

4. pinger

pinger

What your seeing is your shell crashing. Explorer.exe Is the shell that runs, what you can try is when the computer loads up with a blank wall paper, goto Task Manager and select File -> New Task and type in the absolute path to explorer.exe. In my case it is C:\windows\explorer.exe. At this point you will the error if it occurs such as eplorer.exe has generated errors. First suggestion is to goto Task Manager -> New Task -> ("C:\windows\system32\sfc.exe /scannnow"), if this doesn't work tyr replacing the explorer.exe from a known good OS. Copy it onto a file from a good computer, goto task manager -> New Task, type in CMD and should get you to a dos prompt. Then simply copy the file to the windows directory. Shouldn't give you an error since file is not in use. Reboot and see what happens. Another suggestion I have is to exactly what you did by running C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk, This is actually running another file called Iexplore.exe this will get you to the internet then goto microsoft update page and see if you re-service pack your computer. I hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!