1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank Welcome Screen (with picture)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zeroroom, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeroroom

zeroroom Thread Starter

I am working on a friend’s laptop that is having an issue I have not seen before.

This:
    [​IMG]

The laptop is a Dell INSPIRON | 6000 running Windows XP Home, German Version. I am unable to give you much more information with out pulling hardware components out of the laptop.

I am unable to log into Windows because, as you can see, there is nowhere to log in. I have attempted Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt and I still get not get past this screen. I did attempt to CTRL+ALT+DEL my way in and did get the more official; I am connected to a domain type, prompt. I thought I had it nailed then until I realized that none of the passwords worked.

It is possible that the laptops user has forgotten the password but I doubt it. If that is the case then I know what I need to do.

I am really just looking for the cause and solution to the problem.

I have found these articles at Microsoft and at derkeiler.com as well as a few others. They can be found at Google under “blank welcome screen” Windows XP. They suggest viruses and spy ware. I booted off of a 2005 Symantec Anti Virus Disc and it did not detect any compromised files.

I attempted to get the Windows XP Disc from the user but all they have that recovery disc that comes with most computer manufacturers. Not the Windows XP CD. I can’t run the Recovery console from it. As a last ditch effort I put in my Windows XP disc for the purposes of getting to the recovery console only. When the console loaded up I was greeted with a command line version of the log into windows screen and none of the passwords I was supplied with worked.

I hope this doesn’t just come off as rambling. I am trying to be as informative as possible. Also I would like to fix the laptop without having the Hard Drive data wiped.

Please let me know if I can provide anymore information.

Thanks,
    -z

Edit:
    I am not to clear about what the user did with this system before this problem. As my German is as bad as the users English. If there is something particular you want to know, let me know and I will find out.

2. zeroroom

zeroroom Thread Starter

I hate it when people do this. So I’ll only do it this once.

bump

Apologies

-z

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well I think you have two options; wait and reinstall from an XP CD or try restoring registry hives using the Recovery Console.

If no password was created -- don't try entering one; just hit enter.

If you want to try to destroy any created passwords -- there is an accepted hack covered here:

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Nordahls method is widely used -- you don't try to create one, you just eliminate the old one; see "blanking the password" under the FAQ section:

(entering * at the prompt)

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

This is the method for restoring damaged registry hives, which might be the problem -- no guarantees:

USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE TO ACCESS SYSTEM RESTORE

If you do not have an XP CD download cmdcon.cab from Elvandil's post here: http://forums.techguy.org:80/t395729&highlight=recovery+console.html

Unzip and burn the cmdcon.iso file to CD. With Nero or Roxio you should only need to "open" the file and it will start the burner's ISO burning program.

DeepBurner can also be used to burn ISO files, I recommend the “portable” version:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

Once that is done, you need to boot with either that or the Home XP CD to the Recovery Console. You may need to ensure that the CD drive is the first boot drive in the BIOS setup if it just boots to the same screen. Setup is accessed by looking for the key to press on the first data you see on the screen -- often F2

Directions are given here:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

There are several things to note about this operation.

1 > it is not a "reinstall" of Windows, but a method of accessing System Restore.

2 > all command lines are one line with appropriate spacing -- the doc file does not always reflect this.

3 > you must complete all 3 parts for it to be a proper restore.

4 > in the first part of this document you are given the command:

copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

you may get a "file not found" when running this command. If you do, substitute this command instead:

copy C:\windows\repair\system.bak C:\windows\system32\config\system

4. zeroroom

zeroroom Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the help. I attempted to use the utility at eunet like you suggested to recover/reset the password. Unfortunately the boot disc gave me an error that is not in eunet’s FAQ. When that failed I assumed the rest of the fixes would not work. It seemed as though the rest of the instructions depended on me succeeding with the utility from eunet’s site. I think I am done beating my head against this thing. I am going to recommend the user format the drive and reload Windows.

Thanks again for you time and help!

-z

5. krops

krops

I have the same problem, but reinstalling Windows won't help, cause that's what caused the problem in the first place. I was simply going to clean up a bit by reinstalling Windows, and used the recovery disc which came with the computer. But when the installation is complete, and I get to the welcome screen, no user name appears, and if I click ctrl+alt+del, I get the logon dialogue, but I'm required to type a password. What's that all about? I tried simply clicking 'OK' with 'administrator' in the name field, but I get the message that the account is restricted. I've tried the user name + password I had before reinstalling, but the don't work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!