1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bleep a word

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Igoofed, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Igoofed

Igoofed Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to bleep out a word in a downloaded song? It is in media player at this time but when I went to 'help' files --nothing there. :confused:

BTW, I did legally download this and pay for it at Walmart's download site. I downloaded it for my granddaughter without knowing that there is one nasty word in it.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It does not look like there is an easy way to do it. From what I read on the Walmart download site, the files are DRM protected WMA files. One possible solution:

1) Use Windows Media Player and a CD burner to burn the song to an Audio CD.

2) Rip the song from CD to the hard drive in a format that does not have any DRM protection. You may be able to use Windows Media player to do this.

3) Use audio editor software to snip out the offending lyric and save the edited version. I use Wave Editor that is part of a Nero Suite. Some other TSG member may be able to suggest other free or low cost editors.

Any other methods might be considered circumvention of copyright protection and prohibited from discussion in TSG forums.

3. impossibleJ

impossibleJ

Download the freeware program "Audacity" and open the song within that program. (You may have to perform Chuck W.'s step #2 to do this.) Find the spot you want to bleep and either reduce the volume to zero in that spot, or add a random tone over it. If you snip the word out, it will interrupt the flow of the music. Better to change the sound without cutting. (Or you could always just accept that the kid will probably hear that word in the future anyway, and talk to him/her about what it means and why you don't like it. And for pete's sake, don't shop at Walmart!)

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Actually you would need to perform steps #1 and #2.

From the Wal-mart music download FAQs:
    Will media players other than the Windows Media® Player 9 play, burn and transfer WMA files?
    Please consult the documentation that accompanies your non-Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 player to see if it supports music files encrypted by DRM. Although other media players may be able to play music you download from Walmart.com, we only verify that the music you download from Walmart.com will play using Microsoft's Windows Media Player 9 (or higher).

What do I need to burn songs I download onto a CD?
    You need two things to burn your music to a CD:

1. An internal or external CD-RW drive that is connected to the computer that you use to play your music.
    2. A blank CD-R disc that is compatible with the write speed of your CD-RW drive, and that is able to record audio files.

Please refer to the packaging for the blank CDs, and consult the documentation that came with your CD-RW drive if you have questions.

Audacity does not support WMA per the latest Audacity FAQs:

Can Audacity import file formats like WMA, AAC, FLAC, etc.?

Audacity cannot import or export files in WMA, AAC, RealAudio, Shorten (SHN), or most other proprietary formats. Because of licensing and patent restrictions, we are not allowed to add these formats to Audacity. Future versions of Audacity might be able to support these formats using codecs installed in your operating system.​

5. Igoofed

Igoofed Thread Starter

Actually, I found a non technical way to resolve the problem. I wrote to Walmart and explainged the problem. They in turn credited my account for that download then gave me the info needed to download the cleaned version which I did. Now the kid and I are both happy! LOL In future, I don't know how I'll be able to tell which songs may have troublesome words. In this entire album, this is the ONLY explicit word. Don't know what's wrong with an artist that they would not consider that some of us may know the word as I do and my granddaughter does as well, BUT we don't want it repeating into our ears everytime we listen to music. It may be the artist's right to use the word but it is my right not to want to pass on this language. In future, I will not buy any song that has such language. Thanks for all the help sent. As usual, the tech guys had answers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice