1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blinking Cursor, Black screen, no Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bthomas, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bthomas

bthomas Thread Starter

Hello,

AMD Phenom x4 9750 Quad Core Processor
    8Gb System Memory
    750 Gb Hard Drive
    ATI Raedon HD 6670
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1
    Mother Board - M2N68-LA

My Problem

Computer starts up...passes that Functions Keys screen...and goes to a black screen with
    a blinking cursor.

I cannot do the F8 thing to enter Safe Mode and non of the "F buttons...Fll or F whatever"
    will give me the option to use the Restore Points feature.

I have tried resetting BIOS and CMOS by moving jumper pins around on the motherboard
    ...even removed the motherboard battery and replaced it (following other internet articles
    about my motherboard and how to do it)...all did nothing

I have a CD called "Ultimate Boot-up CD" and it will Run...this is the CD that got me in
    trouble and in this situation...ONLY because i was messing around with features that I
    was ignorant about

If it matters...this Ultimate Boot-up CD also has a program on it called "Partedmagic"
    it is supposed to be for partitioning or something...but only through this program am
    I able to access the internet through Firefox...I also have access to a laptop with the
    ability to burn CD's, not DVD, if I need to create some other boot up CD to fix this

Why I think This Happened

Attempted to use "Ultimate Boot-up CD" to retrieve photographs from a Ten year old Hard Drive
    from my very first computer (Maxtor 40 Gb)

My new computer (currently mr.blinking cursor black screen) has connections for IDE cables that
    I hooked up to the old Maxtor HD...my computer recognized that the Maxtor HD was there
    but I was always unable to access it...i tried to Initialize the HD based on other internet articles that
    I read...nothing happened.

So...I began to use "Ultimate Boot-up CD"...one of the programs it has it called "HD Clone 4"

This is where I got in trouble...I think

I ran this cloning program telling it to clone my Old Maxtor to my Newe HD...as the program was
    running I got a hunch that this was not right and aborted the process after about 30 seconds
    and, apparently, some data was transferred...about 2.5 Mb or 22.5 Mb...it wasn't much

Nothing seemed out of place at the moment...I pulled the "Ultimate Boot-up CD" out to the
    computer and powered down....when I powered up again, no boot-up cd in computer, everything
    went from the Functions Keys screen to the, currently, Black Screen with Blinking Cursor

Also, sometimes the blinking cursor screen says "Disk Boot Failure"

At the moment I do have Recovery CD's that I purchased from the manufacturer...but they will be
    a last resort since the only option they give me is to reformat my computer and lose all my data

If anyone can help me recover my computer without any data loss I would appreciate it...if I need to
    download another boot-up/repair CD...I will....and please suggest one for me

2. Bradthecru

Bradthecru

Have you removed the Maxtor 40GB drive from the system? If not, give this a shot and see what happens for starters.

3. bthomas

bthomas Thread Starter

The Maxtor Hard Drive has been removed...all my attempts to fix so far have
    happened after removing the Maxtor from my newer computer.

Does the fact that I can't even get into Safe Mode give any clues as to what the
    damage may be???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice