1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blinking monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SosstheBoss, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SosstheBoss

SosstheBoss Thread Starter

I am currently on a Dell dimension 2400 PC, with windows XP home edition service pack 2 that my mom got in 2003, but the monitor has started blinkling, what happens is the screen will suddenly go black & then start blinking, with a faint light in the bottom corner, I can see the screen contents between blinks. This occurs when; I have been away from the computer a while, upon start up & sometimes when I am in the middle of something. so far what I have done is jiggle/wiggle the cord that plugs into the back of the monitor, & it usually brings the monitor back but it it is taking more jiggling the cord than ever to get the screen back. The computer seems to be ok, watched the diagnostic lights at the back of the computer upon start up, all green no red. but the monitor is very irritating. Is it the cord? before I started up today, I tried unplugging the cord that plugs into the monitor & then re plugged it back in, then started up the computer, all was well for a while, there was no blinking at start up, but then after I was away from the computer for about 10 minutes, moved the mouse & it started blinking again. The monitor is a 15 inch LCD, should I get a new cord for it? will I be able to find a new cord for this monitor? it came with the PC in 2003. Do I need to get a new monitor? is the computer dying? I need some quick help as it is hard to do my work with the monitor, want to solve the problem as I cant keep wiggling the cord that plugs into the back forever.

Sossity

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Try viewing the monitor in a darkened room. If you see a faint glow when the screen blinks to "black", that usually indicates that the monitor is still getting AC power because the LCD backlight is still operating. You may have an internal video problem in the monitor in this case.

What happens if you jiggle the video cable where it enters the monitor?

Can you test that monitor on another computer and/or try using another monitor on the current computer?

3. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

what happens if you turn on the monitor with no input and navigate the menus? that would tell you whether or not it is the monitor or your video card. Are you running integrated graphics or do you have a dedicated graphics card?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not 100% of the time. We had an LCD monitor at work with a VGA input. It would not display any incoming video signal but the on screen menus worked fine.

5. SosstheBoss

I have viewed it in a dark room, & there is a faint glow between blinks, I can also briefly see screen contents between blinks, when I jiggle the video cable that enters the monitor, it usually brings it back, but sometimes & recently it it takes quite a bit of jiggling to get it back.

no I cant test on another computer, I only have the one computer in my home, & I can't try on anyone else's. I don't have another monitor, I would have to go & buy another from a store.

I believe that the computer has integrated graphics, not a dedicated video card.:(

6. SosstheBoss

How do I go about turning on the monitor without input? there is a power button on the bottom,of the screen, do I push this without turining on the computer? do I just turn my power strip & then press the monitor power button? I think the the computer has intergrated graphics, not a dedicated video card.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/716338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice