1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blinking XP monitor-Spy snapshots?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Dogman, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dogman

Dogman Thread Starter

Hello all, my current irritation is "blinking".We get freeze,blink,reopen, with partly messed up page, quite often, especially doing emails and adaware scans, but also apparently randomly. We have up to date Norton anti virus, Ad-aware,Spybot and Spyware blaster. Could this be some well hidden spy prog taking "snapshots",or am I being paranoid? I also installed the latest Nvidia driver for the monitor but it made no difference either way. This is a system that did have lots of junk on it (teenagers!!)-but Im trying to take good care of it in the last few months. Another idea is maybe the monitor is on its last legs? (about 21 months old, lots of use)--any ideas? love and peace.

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

IF you have another computer available, try connecting the monitor to it and see what happens. Or, another monitor on that computer.

3. Dogman

Dogman Thread Starter

Thanks Mr Hawk,I did that and things have improved a lot, BUT we still get some of the same symptoms. ???--somebody suggested it might be a problem with the graphics card (or maybe half a problem, as it seems half fixed!) It is still quite annoying and inconvenient. Any further thoughts anyone? Thanks.

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I would right click on My Computer, then select Properties, then the Device Manager tab and look for any yellow ! marks especially under Display Adapter (video card).

If that is clean, power down and disconnect everything and open up the box. Touch any bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity BEFORE touching anything inside. Then remove the Video card and plug it back in 2 or 3 times (dirty contacts?). Make sure the card is firmly seated in it's slot and put everything back together and power up.

Good luck

5. RSM123

RSM123

You might also try right click on desktop > select properties > click settings tab and either adjust your refresh rate or use the troubleshooting.

6. mad-martin

mad-martin

it happens to me when my cellphone is close to the monitor, when the cellphone roams for the network the screen may flicker.
    :)

7. Dogman

Dogman Thread Starter

Hello all,heres an update. Thanks for all the ideas, its improved but not fully fixed.--Cellphones-Iknow what you mean but def not this.RSM-Tried the refresh rate idea, change from 60 to 85, caused a black border, thats all. Changed back. Troubleshooting, no options appropriate, tried nearest, but no use.-Nighthawk--no "yellow marks"(didnt really know what I was looking for) I did the video card idea. Quite dusty inside, vacuumed up, re plugged in,--there WAS a good improvement. I thought it was solved, but no, still getting closing and blinking and freezing, inc 5 or more times doing this reply. Also mystery shadow big arrow cursor syndrome (is this a new disease?), sometimes.Had a crash, error reporting said it was due to NVidia driver, I again did an update, and was told I should update Direct X, so I did. No real change. Auto update sent me a security update today, very fat, at this rate lots of people will run out of hard drive space. Is this my new lifes work? Prob still feels like a software thing to me, but what do I know?-Health n Happiness to you all.

8. Dogman

Dogman Thread Starter

Greetings all. Im no nearer a solution to the above problem. Its very difficult to do an Email now due to stopping. Surely Im not the only one to have had this prob?---aargh.--???

9. Dogman

Dogman Thread Starter

Hi all Ill try again to send a reply. Quick replies dont seem to show up and replies written offline get lost when connecting and re logging in.---Problem fixed --new VGA card did it.9 Good advice from a lady on a market stall.) Also maybe worth mentioning---prior to the fix, Id had a worthwhile improvement by "reducing the hardware acceleration rate" which can also help with other hardware problems, but its obviously better to fix the real fault.Many thanks to the TSG members who tried to help me.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/158104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice