Solved Bloated c:windows directory

Totores

Hi all,
I have been running my machine on windows 7 for 8 years now and looking at my c:\windows directory it has bloated to 89GB, is this a normal occurrence or is there something I can do to trim it down? I had a look and deleted a few directories for software I don't have any more but there seems to be still a lot in that directory.
I have a 160GB (partitioned) drive for C: but only have 33GB free, considering all the software is installed on a D drive (partition).
Any suggestions or should I bite the bullet and update to windows 10 and start afresh?
P.S. i regularly run ccleaner to clean some of the junk but still a lot is there!

Thanks

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20120725171912.000000+600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 161 GB (33 GB Free); D: 136 GB (122 GB Free); E: 416 GB (96 GB Free); F: 43 GB (20 GB Free); G: 4 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Intel Corporation DG43NB, ver AAE34877-404, s/n USNB922000XT
System: Intel Corp., ver _ASUS_ - 6b
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It may be temporary files that didn't get deleted. Use the Disc Cleanup utility to see if it finds the temporary files.

TreeSizeFree from JAM Software can also find the files/folders with the biggest size. You would need to run it in Administrator Mode to allow it to see windows protected folders.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Restart your computer, then wait for it to completely settle down from the restart.

Type %temp% in the run or search box, then press the Enter key.
When the folder containing those temp files appears, click Edit - Select All (which will highlight the entire list), then click File - Delete - Yes.
The entire list of temp files should delete.

Type c:\windows\temp in the run or search box, then press the Enter key.
When the folder containing those temp files appears, click Edit - Select All (which will highlight the entire list), then click File - Delete - Yes.
The entire list of temp files should delete.

-------------------------------------------------

How many physical hard drives do you have inside your computer?

What are their advertised capacities?

-------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Some things to consider IF you want win10;
1 Your processor is not supported
2 There is no driver support from intel. Intel stopped all support for their motherboards years ago

If you install win10, it might work and it might not work. If you decide to attempt an install of win10, I would do so first before purchasing an install key. Setup will allow you to install without a key however it will not be activated until you input your key.

Totores

Thanks guys, did all of the above and between C: and C:\Windows I have been able to shave 10gb of rubbish!(y)

I'm running windows 10 on another computer that i hardly do any web browsing on, (mainly graphic work) but this machine has been going strong for 8 years on WIN7 and as this is the one i manly use for web browsing and not much else I will stick with it as long as I can.
It's said Win10 is a more secure OS but I read a lot of stories of viruses, malware etc, I think different OS version but same threats only newer versions:unsure:.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online