1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Block ethernet port access for single account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by relative, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. relative

relative Thread Starter

Hi, just wondered if it's possible to block access to the internet on another account on a computer, when an ethernet cable's plugged in.

I share a computer and we each pay for and use separate internet connections. I use the broadband, my brother uses a wifi dongle. However, on his account it automatically connects to the broadband when an ethernet cable is connected. If he disables it on his account, it disables access on mine too.

Is there a way of disabling access to the wired broadband on his account so that it will only connect to his wifi dongle, while still defaulting to the broadband through an ethernet cord on mine?

Sounds stupid, I know:D

2. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi,

What you can do is create a batch file that will disable the Ethernet Port when he logs on.

Create a file called port_set.cmd and copy the lines between the ##### marks

notepad port_set.cmd

########
    if %username%==jim goto disable
    if %username%==joe goto enable
    pause
    exit

:disable

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" disable
    pause
    exit

:enable

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" enable
    pause
    exit
    ########

You will have change the names jim and joe to the 2 account you have.

Then create a shortcut to the file on the desktop to this file, but you have to change a setting in the properties: ( Right click Properties on the shortcut ) Shortcut/ Advanced / Check the box "Run as Administrator"

Now if just click on this at startup will disable the Ethernet card for him and enable it for you, once you are happy then you can put this into the startup group

You may have to change the word "Ethernet" if your's if different, but if you run this from and command prompt netsh interface show interface It should display the name of of the Interface

You can remove the "pause" from the batch file once your are happy

Hope this helps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!