Block Internet, Allow LAN?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Codemaster

What is the easiest way to block a program from the internet, but still allow it access to LAN?

etaf

Wayne
unplug the router/modem from the telephone/cable line

Could you explain in more detail what you mean by "block a program from the internet".

For example, do you want no Internet access for any computer?
Do you just want to block something like the Internet Explorer but allow your anti-virus program to get updates?

Codemaster

I'm at college, so I need a software solution that would allow me to do what your example states. I want to block a program from communicating with the internet, but still allow it to have access to lan. Or if there is a way to turn off my computers internet completely, but still have access to lan, that would work too.

One way is to misconfigure TCP/IP on the computers with an incorrect gateway IP. Then computer's can't get to the Internet but can access their local network. Just make sure the users don't have admin rights to change it back.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can also install a software firewall and limit just that application from Internet access while allowing other applications through.

Codemaster said:
I need a software solution that would allow me to do what your example states.
Zone Alarm is a pretty common program that may be able to this for you.

Same thing would apply about not giving user's the rights to just change it back again.

Codemaster

Bob Cerelli said:
One way is to misconfigure TCP/IP on the computers with an incorrect gateway IP. Then computer's can't get to the Internet but can access their local network. Just make sure the users don't have admin rights to change it back.
How do I do this?

Log on with an account that has admin rights
Go into the Local Area Connection Properties
Open TCP/IP properties
Put in something like 1.1.1.1 for the gateway address.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online