1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Block yahoo messenger

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by goodlistener, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goodlistener

goodlistener Thread Starter

How do i go about blocking yahoo messenger and only this type of messenger on a machine using Windows XP OS? I prefer to not use blocking software but would rather like to know if there were some settings i could make with regard to blocking it. Please advice with steps.

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

Use Group Policy GPEDIT.MSC in Computer configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Software Restriction Policies.
    Select Create New Policy, then goto Additional Rules, right click and select New Hash Rule and select the program file (must be installed) to block it.

3. goodlistener

Thanks for your answer PJhutch. You were spot on! Doesn't suprise you i bet!

4. wilson44512

wilson44512

cant you just uninstall it.

5. pjhutch

pjhutch

Once the program is blocked in GPO, you can uninstall it from the machine.

You cannot uninstall programs remotely unless they were deployed as MSI's in the first place.

6. goodlistener

Me again. I'd like to know if there is any other way to block yahoo messenger instead of the group policy. The blockee has found his way around the group policy and keeps deleting the hash rules. Uninstalling won't help either because of it can always be reinstalled. Please help!

7. pjhutch

pjhutch

Is the PC in a domain, if so, you could apply the GPO via the domain and not locally. Otherwise you need to block the ports that Yahoo Messenger uses on your Firewall.

8. goodlistener

The computer is not part of a domain. Could you please advice me on how to find out what ports this application uses and how i can go about blocking them?

9. pjhutch

pjhutch

10. goodlistener

Could you please advice on where this port blocking has to be done? Through the router?

11. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

blocking ports could result in alot of things not working and your firewall/virus software contiually kicking off about things...i wouldnt suggest that...i take it you only want to block Yahoo messenger and not msn, AOL, MySpace and the other myriad of istant messenger programs???

12. pjhutch

pjhutch

You block ports on the Firewall on your PC or other device such as a router/firewall (if it has proper firewall capabilities).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580478