1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blocked access to smtp server...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pal, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pal

pal Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm going nuts trying to get a new pc on an old lan to reconnect with an existing e-mail account that's been working fine for years.

The mail account is in a domain hosting package which seems to be fine. Can be accessed from other machines, and via a webmail interface. The new pc came with Windows 7, and has Office 2007 installed, so the mail client is Outlook 2007.

The machine will download mail just fine, but chokes whenever it tries to send - the error message says something about needing a valid receipt before it can connect (I'm getting the message 2nd hand by phone - sorry). I've confirmed the username/password are ok. I know the ISP IS blocking port 25, but the account is set up to use port 26 instead and has been doing so for years. The server requires the client to log into pop3 before smtp, but Outlook is already configured with the Send before Receive option, and mail is always downloaded before an attempt to send is made anyway.

I've been over all the settings many times, and have asked others to look at it as well, and even deleted the entire account, and set it up again with step by step instructions from the hosting provider, but nothing seems to make any difference. The hosting provider advises there are no errors in the smtp logs for this account, and consequently that the error must be coming either from Outlook, or the ISP. Since we are bypassing the ISP's server to use the hosting server, that only leaves Outlook / Win7 as the source of the problem - and that is the only thing that has changed since the account was working last...

Is there something different about how Windows 7 attempts to communicate with a smtp server?
    Is there something simple I'm just not seeing?

Thanks in anticipation,

Pal

2. antech

antech Banned

Check whether the account is Configured correctly

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    With the account settings pane open, click the "More Settings" button.
    Then the Outgoing server Tab.
    There add a check to Mys server requires.......
    Then make sure the Use Same settings........... is selected and OK yourself out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice