1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blocked Domain by administrator. But only my laptop in private apartment???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tones66, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tones66

tones66 Thread Starter

I have just moved into an apartment and am sharing with 3 other people who have been here several months. For two days, all was ok with my internet connection (the router is in my room and has factory settings).
    But tonight, whenever I try to connect to certain sites ie gambling etc, I get a webpage saying
    "This domain is blocked.
    Sorry, xxxxx.com has been blocked by your network administrator.
    This site was categorized in: gambling
    Contact your network administrator"

The address is www.block.opendns.com.

But all my friends computers work fine and they can access the " blocked" sites and I can do on my smartphone while connected to the same router.

We have no administrator here, so why only my laptop?

Thank you in advance

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OpenDNS is a well known site that should not be blocked, however when I did block.opendns.com (the www. is not required) I got directed to blocked-domain.com

Since I can't see it (and my home computer's NIC is fried) what is meant to show on that specific site?

3. tones66

tones66 Thread Starter

thanks for your reply James, but I think we have crossed wires here!

I have not blocked OpenDNS. But whenever I try to access certain websites, I get directed to Block.opendns.com and get a message saying :
    Sorry, xxxxx.com has been blocked by your network administrator.
    This site was categorized in: gambling
    Contact your network administrator"

Why does this ONLY happen to my laptop and not everyone elses laptops or smartphones that are connected to the same router?

4. valis

valis Moderator

most likely because someone in the flat put a restriction on it.........

5. tones66

tones66 Thread Starter

No one has put a restriction on it alll. No one in here even knows anything about networking or pc admin!

6. valis

valis Moderator

that is a web filter.......we use them at work all the time....virtually the identical message as well, save for the blockdns.....so someone, somewhere, has put a filter on that pipe.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Sorry I did misread the original message :eek:

What is your DNS settings?

8. gurutech

gurutech

If your laptop is the only one having problems, and no one else is, including your phone, then the problem is with your laptop. Post an "ipconfig /all" on your machine and post here (this will give the DNS settings that Couriant is asking for also).

It's possible that you have malware/spyware, which can modify yours HOSTS file, or a browser toolbar that could be blocking the site.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice