Blocking Apps on networks

deetell

I believe I have a problem with my server blocking certain apps.

I am a septugenarian resident in a nursing home but I am able to manage my own accounts etc. Also, I am a former IT professional on NCR Century hardware (Cobol) through to PC support mainly Windoze so I do know a lot of stuff.

I believe the server of my nursing home or the servers of the ISP are preventing some of my important apps from connecting.

I am able to get the connections if I load a VPN but I should not have to do this.

The ISP is Vocus. I am unable to get access to the building's modems or routers and at this stage I'm prevented from talking to Vocus.

I am working on getting access to the gear or the people. I would appreciate some suggestions of what I can put to the management's advisors around settings.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi deetell, and welcome to TSG.

You need to talk with whoever is managing the facility's network and Internet access. They may have filters in place to prevent access to certain websites or certain types of content for the safety of the residents and other reasons. If they are not doing so, they may be able to figure out why the sites are being blocked and open up access to them.

This thread is being closed, as our site rules prohibit assisting with bypassing company security policies.

EDIT: After further consideration, this thread will remain open to offering suggestions from members on how to discuss the situation with management.

Last edited:

Xsage

Dave
I'm sure the nursing home likely has some acceptable use policy for residents and guest using their network and there is the possibility the apps you are using may be violating those. I would suggest your ask for them to provide the acceptable use policy to you so you can determine if what you are trying to do could be violating them.

If its not, it could be a false positive, in that case, you could contact management and ask them to whitelist the specific address/server you are trying to connect to and explain to them what you need it for and that it doesn't violate any of the policies or terms of your contract.

Unfortunately aside from what you have already tried and unless the home will allow you to purchase your own line through your own ISP that is the only route you have.

Couriant

James
When you are on the nursing home's network, you will need to abide by their rules. Depending on the App, it may be classed under something that they are blocking. Using a VPN will divert the traffic from their network to the VPNs. Unless you can talk to the IT person at the home to unblock your sites, then you only option is to do the VPN.

deetell

Hi deetell, and welcome to TSG.

You need to talk with whoever is managing the facility's network and Internet access. They may have filters in place to prevent access to certain websites or certain types of content for the safety of the residents and other reasons. If they are not doing so, they may be able to figure out why the sites are being blocked and open up access to them.

This thread is being closed, as our site rules prohibit assisting with bypassing company security policies.

EDIT: After further consideration, this thread will remain open to offering suggestions from members on how to discuss the situation with management.
Thank you. I'm not trying to circumvent policies. There are none. I'm also feeling there is no blacklist especially for an app from a bank and an access to a cpanel. Still trying to arrange conference with the support people.

cwwozniak

Chuck
I was not sure if using a VPN was considered circumventing the provider's policies and erred too far on the side of caution.

Perhaps your banking app is trying to use port numbers that are being blocked by some overzealous security settings in the facilities router or firewall. I don't recall if cPanel handles all communications through HTTP port 80 or if other ports are involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online