1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blocking email apart from address book

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by z13w1z, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. z13w1z

z13w1z Thread Starter

Hi guys, my sis wants to know if she can block e-mails from anyone who is not in her address book. I thought it was possible but have been unable to find the solution (yet) but she only asked me an hour ago and I was busy at the time, so I thought where better to find the solution (if there is one)than here.
    She is using Windows Xp and as it was preloaded on her machine I would say she has Outlook Express V.5 or above. Sorry can't say which version of outlook Express she has as she had to go out so I couldn't interrogate her anymore.

Help me out guys please, I'm the older brother so I have to know all (if you know what I mean) so I can get some peace.

2. BillC

BillC

She can select rules in OE > Tools > Message Rules , but block all except those in your address bock is not one of them. There are mailwasher programs one can add to filter mail, but I've not had experience with them.

3. z13w1z

z13w1z Thread Starter

Cheers BillC, already checked the rules in OE, can't be sorted through there that's why I went through here. Oh and the link you posted didn't work.
    Thanks though

4. z13w1z

z13w1z Thread Starter

BillC, when I say it didn't work I should have said it didn't work for me. I tried it through the aol browser and then through the ie and it still didn't work, maybe I'm being thick (webwork isn't my fortay) this is what I got
    505 Request HTTP Version Unsupported
    This Web page could not be opened. The client uses a version of HTTP that is not supported by this Internet online service. HTTP defines how your Web browser responds to commands. Please upgrade your browser to a newer version.
    Tried this on IE as well.
    Not found

5. Deke40

Deke40

z13-Use this:

Go to OE/Tools/Message Rules/Mail/New/ Tick the first item "Where the from line contains people"/ Tick an item in the #2 box(You have a choice to copy, delete, move to folder, do not download it from server or delete it form server) you might want to set up a junk folder and put them there. Now click "contains people" under box #3/click "address book"/highlight the first name and scroll down to bottom of list and hold "Shift key" and click the last name/click "From" at top right and it will copy address to "Rule Addresses"/click "ok"/click "options"/tick "Message does not contain the people below"/click "ok"/click "ok"/Then click "Specified Folder(if you chose that option earlier)/pick a folder/ click "oK"\Apply Now\Apply Now\Ok\Close\Ok.

This image will show you what it will look like. I only have one name in there.

[​IMG]

6. js73

js73

If she was using hotmail, it was easy to set up the junk mail folder so that she would receive messages only from persons on her address book, or on safe list.

7. z13w1z

z13w1z Thread Starter

Cheers Deke, I will pass it on to her.
    Thanks everyone

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice