1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blocking email domain name only

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hthompson1, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hthompson1

hthompson1 Thread Starter

I use Outlook Express for email. I have blocked many addresses, but like some I read in the responses, many addresses would change by a number or letter but keep the same domain name. I understand that you can delete the name or gibberish before the @ symbol and block any address with the remaining domain. However, this does not appear to work. My question is should it and why would it not be working if it should.
    I am using WinXP.

I hope this is enough information.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

I don't really know if this will work or not, but if you are including the @ symbol in the domain, try deleting it.

IE, if you wanted to block all email addresses from Microsoft, put in "microsoft.com" and not "@microsoft.com". Worth a try I guess.

3. hthompson1

Thank you. Will do, it is definitely worth a try.

4. wizzkid

wizzkid

Hi,

This is from Microsoft Outlook Express help, if it is any use to you:

To block messages from a sender or domain

You can block messages from a particular sender or domain. The domain is the name following the @ symbol in an e-mail address.

When you block a sender or domain, no e-mail or news message from that sender or domain will arrive in your Inbox or in the news messages you read. E-mail from blocked senders goes directly into your Delete folder. Newsgroup messages from blocked senders are not displayed.

From your e-mail Inbox or the list of messages in a newsgroup, select a message from a sender you want to block.
    On the Message menu, click Block Sender.

Notes

Blocking a sender applies to standard POP e-mail only. It does not apply to HTTP e-mail or IMAP messages.
    To remove a sender or domain from the Blocked Senders list, on the Tools menu, point to Message Rules, and then click Blocked Senders List. Select the sender or domain, and then click Remove.

Wizzkid

5. hthompson1

Right, thanks. I found this in OE help. I am hoping that by omitting the @ sign and including the domain name, I will block the unwanted email.
    Also, I have just installed Mailwasher. I hope this will also improve matters.
    Thanks again, and I really appreciate these "real" and constructive replies. Not like some sites where the main action is to see how foulmouthed they can be or how well they can flame you.

6. Alaska

Alaska

Here's a link to a web page that has some pre-configured filter/blacklist rules for MailWasher:

http://www.w5hq.com/MailWasher/MailWasherFilters.txt

You may want to get comfortable with MailWasher before actually using them. You don't want e-mail you do want to receive to be blocked out. :)

And Step 4 on the web page is a must read, as is the whole page:

============================
    4. BEFORE USING THE FILTERS:
    ============================

7. hthompson1

Thank you. I will check this out. It seems from what I have been reading that Mailwasher is THE program to use. I am just beginning to see some of its value. I did read the tutorial and FAQ which was very helpful, of course.

8. John Burns

John Burns

Thanks for the URL for MailWasher - I have come to the point that I need something like this to bounce some of these Nigerian Money Letters, Mortgage Offers, etc. This seems to be just the answer. Really appreciate it.

9. Alaska

Alaska

Hello John Burns,
    Yea, there seem to be three camps of people when it comes to bouncing with MailWasher.

Camp 1 - I bounce everything or mostly everything because I think it is effective.

Camp 2 - I bounce nothing and as a matter of fact I have disabled the ability to bounce in MailWasher because spammers use fake addresses and bouncing can really cause more problems than it solves.

Camp 3 - I bounce selectively. I know that spammers have gotten to where they use fake addresses or use addresses for a short time only, but if I can tell an e-mail is from a legitimate address and I want to bounce the message I will bounce it.

All I can say is a person ought to do with the program what they want to do with it. I find that MailWasher suits my personal needs and doing without the bounce feature would not cause the program to be less valuable to me.

But on the flip side of things I think that when MailWasher first hit the scene bouncing was most likely very effective, but as the spammers, advertisers changed their tactics the bounce feature may have become less effective than it used to be.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice