1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blocking HTTP on Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Caiterz, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caiterz

Caiterz Thread Starter

Hi! I'm looking to use access restriction on my router, but to disable only Websites - HTTP (port 80)

...thus allowing my magicjack to still function for phone calls. I know theoretically how it should work, but im just not getting something right. Any ideas?

ive got it set to block HTTP every day all day (Just to test with) and it doesnt block anything.

If i set it to block EVERYTHING, it blocks fine.

Thanks!

I use Linksys.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since Linksys makes lots of models, you need to turn the router over, write down the exact model and post it here.

Of course the easiest solution is to disconnect the router and use just a modem.
    http://www.magicjack.com/how-it-works.html

3. Caiterz

Caiterz Thread Starter

M10. It looks just like any other linksys access restriction page.

Anyway, our modem only has 1 ethernet spot, so i have to go through the router.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do this either attach the magicjack to the modem or attach it to the computer.

I still am very unclear why you have a router if you don't want to go on the internet?

Attached Files:

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

IP Phone!!

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    In place of a magic jack?
    Not sure who you directed you comment to so I'm not sure if it is to answer my question or to give the OP a different solution.

7. Caiterz

Caiterz Thread Starter

Sorry I think i forgot to mention I only want to disable HTTP For 45mins a day and all day tuesday. ( i know how to do the date part though)

I have a hubby that has no self control on the internet, so we agreed on just shutting the 'net off for 45 mins a day and all day tuesdays so we can... y'know... get the dishes done at least.

Anyway, I just grabbed his mac address and denied everything from his pc only (he wont know the difference).... seeing as how I have plenty of self control. :|

Anyway, I would still appreciate any info on how to block only HTTPS.

I had assumed that I could just select it... but it's grayed out o.0 So... not sure what i was doing wrong (and hence why i dont want the MJ into the modem!)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice