1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blocking internet theives on Thomson TG585v7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LowTec, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowTec

LowTec Thread Starter

Hi All...
    Hope you can help! I know for a fact that my neighbour is using my internet connection, I can see his machine's IP address when I go to the router's page. (Its a Thomson TG585v7 with o2, UK)
    I have a security key and am using WPA-PSK encryption.
    The problem is, he works for HP, doing security something-or-other, and so he obviously has software or even hardware to break into my connection. My connection speed is now slow and useless, I only watch TV on streaming sites like bbci and 4od so this is really annoying me...!!! It's cheap and low-down, and that is why I desperately want to stop him stealing my connection!

I have gone through various steps with my ISP to try and remedy this, but nothing so far has worked. I'm now wondering if I can block his IP address and device code to stop him doing it?

Is there anyway to block his device? I've tried everything on the Thomson connection page, but it won't let me do anything like it!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I'm just so ticked off that someone is so pathetic that they have to steal my already rubbish connection, I'm desperate to get rid of him...

Please anyone, any ideas on how I can get rid of this idiot?

I don't know a great deal about tech stuff, so please go slow, I'm a beginner!!!
    THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!:D
    J

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you are using WPA or WPA2 with a strong key, I will have to disagree that your neighbor is actually cracking your encryption. A strong key is at least 20 random letters, numbers, and both lower and upper case.

While WPA has had a limited exploit, it's limited to injecting bogus packets, not actually connecting. WPA2/AES is still uncracked in any way.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice