1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blocking spam

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ijusth, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

I understand that these things are difficult to accomplish but I have been receiving emails where the message isn't truly test but a picture that is made of text which if you click on it you would go to who knows where. The problem is that you can't set up a rule to block using the name since it is random junk, you can't block based on the subject since those are random words and you can't base it on the message since this isn't "text" but a picture so you can't find any key words. Any suggestions on what to do? I luckily don't get that many so suggesting that I change my email is out (this is my primary email account).

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I use yahoo email and they do a pretty darn good job of blocking spam.

3. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

ummm did you read my sentence stating that this is my main email. I know about Yahoo. I have an account there already. If I could even find some way to open the mime header and track to a site I could use lmhost or kill the sender account by talking to the webmaster but sadly these ***holes use webmail usually.

4. sekirt

sekirt

That could be any kind of an email account, even Yahoo!....do they have any type of spam protection available? Send the emails to them and tell them to block them.

Otherwise, you've answered your own question.

sekirt

5. Squashman

Ditto, my primary email account it my yahoo email. I do have Eudora on my PC that gets email from my ISP email account. It does a pretty good job of spam blocking as well. I just use my ISP one for sending out Resumes but I occassionally get Spam on that. Eudora has junk mail filtering builtin and does a pretty good job.

6. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

Try using SpamBayes: spambayes.sourceforge.net

7. Squashman

You could also try http://sourceforge.net/projects/jspamassassin/

8. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

I am currently looking into a few to implement on a network-wide basis. I am searching for utilities that easily plug into Exchange. So far, I am considering GFIMailEssentials, DSPAM(althought the ease of use with Exchange is questionable), and Mailwasher.

I like the Bayesian filter(the Bayesian filter feature of SpamBayes, and the fact that it let's you check the spam "signatures(?)" of each email is one of my fav features) in DSPAM and the opensource-ness of it, but GFIMailEssentials also looks impressive.

I will post to this thread after some further research and/or an implementation decision.

9. Squashman

10. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

Thanks for the info Squashman. I appreciate any info I can use to further research the topic.

:)

11. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

I said I'd post, so here goes - I'm now trying the trial version of GFI MES.

I'll let you know how well it does as far as filtering spam.

In case anyone's interested, the free trial is for 60 days, so if you have an Exchange Server, and a bunch of users complaining of spam, give it a shot! :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/416540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice