Blocking users on a netowork accessing the internet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Matth25

I wanted to block another user on my home network from accessing the internet. The user, uses a desktop which is linked via ethernet to the wireless router, and my laptop is connected wirelesly..

Is there a way i can do it?

Im using a belkin54g router..

Thanks

Don't give them access to the wireless router. For example, put a security key on there and don't give out the iey.

Matth25

Ive already got a key on there, but i wanted to stop the user using the internet on the desktop.. it doesnt ask for a key on the desktop.

Sorry. Misread it that they are using Ethernet. If they have an ethernet cable, then they are not connecting wireless.

On the router, see if there is any MAC address blocking you can put in place. Then block that computer's ethernet MAC address.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You're not going to get that level of control with a consumer grade router. You'll need a router which has some sort of access control functionality whether it be MAC based or via IP rules.

If you can setup up the machines with a dedicated IP address by assiging one to be reserved for each devices MAC address within your router and then create a rule within your routers NAT/Firewall to block the specific machines IP from accessing tcp ports 80, 443 and possibly even the following 81, 82, 8080 and 8090.

Some routers will even allow you to setup certain times when this rule is in force so you can block access when say the kids should be in bed and not up all night on their pc/laptop etc.

I can do this on my Netgear DG834G if your looking for one example.

If you can do that, it would require the person on that computer not to have admin rights to be able to just change it back again. Is that the case? If so, then if they don't have admin rights, just put in an incorrect gateway IP address. Much simpler.

They would need admin rights to the router to change the rules which is username/password protected.

I'm assuming he does have access to his router as he mentioned it above.

So in theory he could manage it that way. I tend to manage all port access acroos my network from within the router.

But if they have admin rights on their own computer, they could just change the computer back to not have a static IP address.

I have a Belkin also and mine has MAC filtering. I'm not sure whether it blocks access to both the ethernet network and the internet or just the internet. I think both. Anyway you enter the MAC number of each computer that you want to have access and enable MAC filtering. You need to change the router setup access password to something only you know, and if you are going to use the portable via wireless to setup the router to enable router setup via wireless....default is setup via ethernet.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have a Belkin also and mine has MAC filtering. I'm not sure whether it blocks access to both the ethernet network and the internet or just the internet. I think both. Anyway you enter the MAC number of each computer that you want to have access and enable MAC filtering. You need to change the router setup access password to something only you know, and if you are going to use the portable via wireless to setup the router to enable router setup via wireless....default is setup via ethernet.
Keep in mind. Many people might get confused as to what MAC filtering we are talking about here. All the consumer grade routers I've seen only support MAC based LAN access for wireless clients. This is different than using MAC addresses for access rules which are specific to the type of traffic you want to allow or disallow to a particular device. If you go to your MAC filtering setup screen and all you see is an area to just enter MAC addresses for allowed access, you do not have the higher level MAC filtering which is ACL based which will give you more options on what ports and/or destinations you are allowing or dis-allowing to/from a specific device.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online