Blocking voip phone from router?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mlclau

Hi,

I'm trying to disable access for a voip phone which is connected through my router at home. I'm currently using a TP-LINK Wireless Router WR340G. The phone is a Samsung SMT-W6100.

My basic understanding is that I should block the port which the phone is using - but i'm not sure if:

i) it is the port I should be trying to disable
ii) how I can do this on my router and
iii) how to find out which port the phone is using.

Would any of you be able to guide me through this? I'm quite a beginner when it comes to router settings/networking so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Unplug the VoIP phone, it's blocked 100%! :)

You can restrict the MAC address of the VoIP phone in the router's configuration, that will also prohibit connections.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi mlclau, and welcome to TSG.

To add to JohnWill's suggestions...

Are you using any kind of wireless encryption on the wireless router. Enabling wireless encryption or changing the encryption key should block the phone and other unwanted users. You would need to set-up the encryption key on any wireless devices you wish to connect to the router.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
You can restrict the MAC address of the VoIP phone in the router's configuration, that will also prohibit connections.
In this particular instance that is a brilliant idea. Probably no way to forge a mac address on a VoIP phone as you can with a normal computer OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online