1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blocks me from getting on the Internet!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Valentine1, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valentine1

Valentine1 Thread Starter

I had 14 critical updates from Microsoft downloaded onto my computer. Now I canNOT get on the Internet. I have to disable Norton's Firewall in order to gain entrance. I've tried changing settings but nothing works. Anyone else having this problem?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try uninstalling the Norton Firewall and installing another one like ZoneAlarm Free.

3. Valentine1

Thanks I will try that. I have Windows Firewall too so that should keep me covered (?) :)

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Actually that may open you up. Only use one firewall at a time.

5. Valentine1

Windows Firewell was disabled while I used Norton's. Are you saying to go ahead and uninstall Norton's and see if the Windows one will open me up?

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

No. I am saying use one firewall at a time only. If you get ZoneAlarm, disable windows firewall.

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Download another firewall before you uninstall the old one. Also before you do uninstall the old firewall, physically disconnect yourself from the Internet until you have installed the new one.

8. Valentine1

I don't always trust my understanding of what EXACTLY I should do. First: download another firewall. Then uninstall Norton Firewall. Then install the new one. That it?

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

10. Valentine1

Uninstalling Norton did the trick. With Windows Firewall in place I can now get onto the Internet again without being blocked. I did however, download ZoneAlarm and will keep it to see if Windows is good enough. Would ZoneAlarm be better? Anyone?

11. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Windows firewall only works one way, incoming. You want one that will work both ways, incoming and outgoing.
    So I recommend using one other than windows that does this such as Zone Alarm that you have downloaded.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My guess is that Norton detected a change and was waiting for you to allow the machine that was changed to go to the internet and you may have mistakenly told it to deny. ZoneAlarm works the same way. If the program that is trying to get out to the internet, it will block it and ask you first before allowing it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice