1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blowing power supplies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DOCDave, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DOCDave

DOCDave Thread Starter

Does anyone have a solution to why my motherboard is blowing power supplies? I read one post that had an answer that motherboards don't usually blow power supplies. WELL mine has blown TWO. I have a power supply tester and the second one I know was good just before plugging into the motherboard, now it energizes for about 2 seconds. If I turn the power supply off using the I/O switch on it I can get it to energize again. I have lighted fans, they light for about two seconds then go out, everything DEAD. I can repeat this process as many times as I wish with the same result. This problem just all of a sudden started. ANY HELP?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What make and model PSU are you using?

3. DOCDave

DOCDave Thread Starter

Both of them were
    VPOWER
    LC-B400ATX

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

I really couldn't find much information on that power supply, but apparently from this discussion the model LC-B400ATX may be manufactured by different manufacturers.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/53955/

If you have blown 2 of them, then I certainly would be looking for a different brand. Good brands to consider are;

PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, Cooler Master, Thermaltake.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Go with one of the ones suggested above.

LC Power PSUs, made by Deer Computer Co, Ltd have a reputation for being cheapo crappy power supplies. Deer also makes Foxconn, Allied, Hercules, and about 10 other crappy brands.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I found some specs for that power supply; BTW it sells for $16.50 :eek: :eek: not a real quality unit. It is basically junk. Go with a quality power supply and your problems will most likely be fixed.

7. DOCDave

DOCDave Thread Starter

All of that is great HOWEVER it was running for two years without BLOWING power supplies. tyhen one day it would NOT power up. the second supply unit was one I had laying around and that one BLEW OUT when trying to power up the computer too. THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE wrong NOT the power supply unit. the second unit I took out of a 233 mh system I do not use anymore BUT WORKED.Thanks for input though.

8. idowindows

idowindows

I would also consider taking a look at your power source. You may be getting too much juice from your electricity source. Have you tried connecting the pc elsewhere? How'bout a UPS?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may in fact have a problem with a motherboard however when you troubleshoot, you cannot use junk parts. It would help if you posted exact specs with links to your parts.

10. XSkylerX

XSkylerX

yeah, check out the mobo, i know that certain gateways had 2 pins switched for the mobo plug, maybe gateways not the only one that did that

11. Crispies

Crispies

are u using ur comps power button to turn on the comp after u turn on the power supply u know u have to right?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice