1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blown power supply in grandpas computer please help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fields46391, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fields46391

Fields46391 Thread Starter

I feel kinda dumb for asking such a simple question, but I don't have time to research this so bare with Me please.

My grandpa loaned me a spare PC of his that he built, when mine started messing up. A little while ago I blew the power supply. However I got my PC working so I didn't mess with it, now hes starting to bring his PC up in conversationn. I just don't have the heart to tell him what happened, he takes a lot of pride in the PCs he builds, and I really don't want to let the man down.

So I was wanting to just replace it so it can be working before he ends up stopping by, but Im having trouble finding a replacement. I tried pulling up the same exact one online, which is a Enermax ATX 12V VER. 1.2 EG465P-VE (24P) (at the end of this post ill put a link to the exact specs), but everywhere I look its sold out.

So could someone please help by pointing me to place I could find this model for sale or recommending some other power supplies with the same set ups that will be just as good. Im not to sure on how to go about figuring out what power supplies are right for a specific mother board. I really hope someone's able to help me so I can avoid disappointing the man he really means a lot to me. So I'd really appreciate any help thank you.

Heres the link for the exact specs of the blown power supply

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s419...46ed5b8d77c2/7a9d46dbf9e47e2e48a40e60ff98221c

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

How please as that is very relevant to the advice I may give

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Enermax is a pretty high quality mfg. I checked the specs and it has standard connectors so you can use just about any atx standard pw supply. While almost all modern pw supplies have an 8pin aux connector, it is usually 4+4 so you can detach the unneeded extra 4pin.
    You do understand that there is a VERY real possibility that when the pw supply failed, it damaged other parts ie motherboard, ram, etc. With the higher end units, this is less of a possibility however it does still exist. The only way you are going to find out IF anything else was damaged is to install a new pw supply OR take all of the parts to a shop for testing.
    Here is a basic corsair that has the necessary connectors for you;
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
    Note that unit is for a basic system. If you have a real video card or a gaming card, you will need a better quality pw supply.

5. Fields46391

I was using the surge protector elsewhere in the house, and made the bad decision of plugging the PC directly into the wall outlet. a
    A spark flew out I think I remember it starting to smoke so I immediately unplugged the cord from the PC itself.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, the ONLY way you are going to find out what [if anything] was damaged is to install a new pw supply OR take the system to a shop and have them test all parts.
    Note the shop labor is going to be about the same cost as a new pw supply so I would opt for the new pw supply. Up to you.

7. Fields46391

Here links to some pics of the mother board and graphics card if that helps

https://goo.gl/photos/mWvxFY5q7FWFpiyc9

https://goo.gl/photos/7zE2M9rGcrZVKpCo7

8. Fields46391

By the I do appreciate your help, and ya I understand there's a chance other parts were damaged. I was just gonna replace the power supply once I know for sure which one to get and hope for the best.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From what I can tell, you have a nvidia 8800GS video card.
    This would be about the cheapest unit I could recommend;
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Just a thought however have you considered just telling the man what happened? Most people that build system have a LOT of spare parts. You [or he] could install a spare pw supply and know in a few min if the rest of the parts work.

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

It does not need two of us to work with your topic
    The reason I asked on my reply regarding how you blew the power supply is - because as has been commented on there is a real chance other components have been damaged

If the surge protector took the standard AC supply plug to its socket and you then plugged that into the standard AC wall outlet there is no reason why it should have apparently shorted the power supply
    You do not say where the spark was from or indeed where the smoke was from.
    Or indeed where the surge protector was from - supplied by your Grandad or already in your house.

My advice is this - admit your error whatever it was to your Grandad
    He MAY NOT be pleased, but he will be far less pleased if you in your attempt to replace the PSU - get a connection wrong and blow his motherboard or other parts if that has not already occurred
    NOTE - being typed before my colleagues last post appeared

The choice is yours of course.

That all said - good luck with it and as mentioned two of us working on what is a simple problem is only confusing to you.
    My best wishes

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a note. IMO a surge protector is next to useless as far as providing "Clean" pw. They are useful for providing extra plugin connections. Again IMO if you want to protect a system from surges, you get a UPS not a surge protector.

On another side note. Years ago I loaned a car to my father inlaw. He called to tell me it would not start and where it was located. He neglected to tell me he cranked it so long as to kill the battery AND break the nose off of the starter motor. A little bit more info would have saved me a LOT of time in troubleshooting the problem. As it turned out, the problem was not caused by him [blown head gasket] however I spent quite a bit of time pulling and then installing a starter motor that did not fix the problem.

In short, I would have been much happier if he had just told me what he had done. I would think your grandfather would feel the same.

12. Fields46391

You know what, I remember seeing the box for the graphics card, and I believe it is 8800gs. Now what is different in regards to this power supply you're recommending compared to the previous one you've mentioned?

I just want to make sure its right. I've messed around working on my old smaller stock Compaq PCs with my grandpa in the past. You know upgrading cpu, ram overclocking etc..., but when I opened his up after the power supply blew, I felt it looked a lot more sophisticated than the compaqs me and him worked on. It just intimidated me a little cause besides working with and tinkering here and there I don't have a lot of experience.

13. Fields46391

Oh... Well all I know is it was unplugged for a little while, and when plugged it into the wall a spark flew out of the case and started smoking.

Also thanks for the more personal advice, I will take it into the consideration, but I would still kinda like to fix it first.

Another thing I just remembered, I tried take the hard drive and put it in my other computer but it wouldn't boot. I think the OS was missing, which I didn't think about it at the time but now im guessing when the power supply blew it probably damaged the hard drive. If so I really hope it didn't damage any other hardware or didn't have any important data on there since it was just a spare and its my data that got lost.....

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Already been explained to you. The first one is for a basic system ie onboard/onchip video NOT a real video card.
    The GS series of cards do not use a lot of pw; hence no 6pin pw connector. You might be able to get away with the first one however I would not install a cx pw supply in a system with a real video card. Up to you.

15. plodr

plodr

Since your grandpa built the PC, he knows lots more about it than you do.
    Take it to him, explain what happened, let him figure what is damaged and offer to pay to replace the damaged parts.

16. Fields46391

Oh ok well I appreciate all you're help, but if you don't mind me asking. Why wouldn't install a cx power supply in a system with a real video card?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185432