1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blu Ray Burner for Lenovo Y580 Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlabit, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I currently have a Lenovo Y580 Laptop computer with a dvd burner optical drive. I am wanting a blu ray burner where I can watch iblu-ray movies, and occasionally burn files to a Blu ray disk. I have found this drive, but I'm not sure whether it is compatible. It appears there are several different sizes for optical drives. Any idea whether this will physically fit in my laptop? Thanks for your assistance.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ240-Blu-ray-Burner-DVD±RW/dp/B003AXW2YQ

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unless it is designed for that machine, and it states that it will work, I doubt very much that you can use it. Laptops, in particular, are very proprietary in hardware, and though some few standard pieces may be interchangeable, for the most part, even the connections for optical drives are often the company's own. You'll need to get a drive from the manufacturer or one that they say will work. (Or advice from someone who has actually gotten one to fit.)

Alternatively, you could look into an external case with a USB connection for a BluRay drive. Since most people rarely use them, except for data storage (double-sided ones can hold 50 GB's which makes a great storage medium) or videos, and they are expensive, it may be best to buy just one that can be used on all machines and keep for future ones. I have found no problems with speed playing BluRay over a USB 2.0 connection (In the worst case, the contents could be copied to your hard drive before playing, anyway, though I have never had to do that). And, of course, since a drive that supports all optical media for both reading and burning is only slightly more expensive than those that support fewer types, it is worth the money to get a good drive. Just another idea...............

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice