1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blu Ray CD/ROM Not Appearing in Device Manager or Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roadie, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roadie

Roadie Thread Starter

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help. Just noticed a few days ago that my two Blu Ray writers are not appearing in "Computer" or the Device Manager.

The only major issue I've had with the computer recently was that I was getting a Microsoft blue screen stating that my computer had crashed due to a memory management issue. Looked it up and several suggestions were to update computer drivers. Downloaded and ran Iobt's Driver Booster 6 which updated 19 system drivers which corrected my blue screen memory management issue.

Between then and now has been perhaps 3 weeks. In the meantime this computer received a Microsoft Update on the last patch Tuesday (March 19) which was KB4023057. This may or may not be the problem but shortly after this was when I noticed I now had no way to access my Blu Ray drives.

In the Device Manager the two drives can be seen by clicking "view" and "show hidden devices". One suggestion I found was to right click and remove the drives, then reboot and windows would recognize the drives and install the appropriate drivers. This did not work, the only thing that happened was that the entire cd/rom drive category disappeared from the device manager under view hidden devices setting so I did a system restore and got the entries back.

Another suggestion was to right click on the drives in the device manager (show hidden devices) and click "update driver". This resulted in a statement that the latest drivers were already installed. The drivers were also present in Iobit's Driver Booster 6 but that program stated the devices were not installed.
    They drives are installed and working normally to all outward appearances (press the button and the tray opens, etc.) They were working fine recently as I burned some back up discs recently.

Would rolling back the last windows update be a possible fix?

Quick Specs of this computer:
    Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 x64
    Processor: Haswell I7 4770
    Ram: 32 GB

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Just a note, In my opinion one should stay away from 3d party Driver Booster programs as they have been known to install the wrong drivers. Only use them as a last resort like a situation where there are no other drivers available from anywhere else.

SpywareDr likes this.
  4. Roadie

Roadie Thread Starter

Thanks lynx. So what's the best way to update drivers? How do you even know what or where to check without some sort of help unless your an expert which I'm not. Iobt's Driver Booster 6 did solve my most immediate problem at the time which was a memory management issue with many people recommending updating the drivers. The computer was crashing on a daily basis and would not even shut down normally. After running the Iobt driver booster program the computer was stable again.

I checked the driver booster program update list and apparently it did not update the driver for the cd/rom device(s). The date of the last driver is from 2006 which while trying to update the driver from the device manager says is the latest driver available. The driver is from Microsoft and not the Blu Ray manufacturer. I'm not an expert so I guess some other driver may have had some role in the disappearance of the blu ray drives in "computer", but as I recall they didn't disappear until the time of the last Microsoft update which was at least a couple of weeks later. Of course with the passage of time the details are becoming harder to recall.

I tried to uninstall the last Microsoft update but apparently it can not be uninstalled as it is a "quality update". When trying to uninstall that particular update from "Settings/Windows Update" clicking through brought up a list in "control panel" of mainly security updates which had been installed before I noticed the cd/rom drives missing in "computer". None of the "Quality Updates" were listed as available to remove.

And so I did a system restore to the point before the last Microsoft " Quality Update" was installed (next to last restore point available). After rebooting; the in question "Microsoft Quality Update" was still present. Apparently once installed they can not be removed.

Then I tried "Advanced System Startup" and clicked through recovery operations. The only recovery options available I discovered were to restore from a disc image (Don't have one, I'm guilty, I was going to do one using Macrium Reflect but never got around to it), or apparently do a complete reset. To my knowledge that's the point I'm at now.

Also from what I've found online these quality updates will be installed at some point. They can only be delayed so uninstalling the suspect update would be futile in the long run.

Would updating to the next version of Windows 10 perhaps solve this issue? Presently I'm running Windows 10 Version 1803, the April 2018 update. Windows update has never presented and I haven't sought out the troubled October 2018 Version 1809 update.

I guess I can always back up to flash drives (I don't want to back up to "the cloud"), but using blu ray discs is cheaper. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks for reading.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

When you installed the Windows 10 on your motherboard , the next step is to install the Chipset drivers (Memory control and other things) then the rest of the drivers from the motherboards web site. The GPU from the GPU vendor web site if available or from AMD or Nvidia which ever it is. Don't have a blue-ray, DVD's are usually auto detected, some times they need a firmware update from the Manufactures. What is your board and Model of your blue-rays? I recently added a PCI-E USB3 card on one of mine and windows tried to put generic drivers ,I had to stop it and install the Vendor driver for it to work right.

6. Roadie

Roadie Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, lynx. I've never built a system myself. I have a cousin who has built several systems from scratch but as for me no build experience. I bought this system from Microflex Computers in Irvine, Ca. where you can totally customize the system you want.

Motherboard is an Asus Z87 pro. I did not know that you could get drivers from the motherboard website. I looked around the Asus motherboard website but they must have at least a hundred different motherboards. I didn't see any downloads for their motherboards, I guess I was on the sales side and should have been looking in support.

While researching the exact model of the blu ray burners (LG WH16NS40), I found that the exact problem I'm having was mentioned under support for this particular model as well as firmware downloads. I had visited the website before but was only looking for drivers and so I didn't notice the support tab. I now have a new resource to further trouble shoot this problem. The first item to try at the LG Website is: "in device manager expand IDE ATA/ATAPI. Uninstall both ATA channels 0 and 1. If IDE/ATAPI does not have ATA channels, uninstall the controller.

Perhaps this will solve my problem. unfortunately I don't have time for repair attempts right now due to work. I'll try the ATA channels fix probably this week end. If I find a solution or need additional help I'll add to this thread. Thanks for your help.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

Here is a link for your motherboard drivers https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
    Yes the Uninstall of the IDE ATA/ATAPI forces windows to look for new drivers. The firmware is update is supposed to improve disc compatibility. The chipset and SATA drivers would affect you seeing the drives.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I just went through a similar issue using Win 7 and the same LG drive. Drive was initially detected, but then Windows rebooted several times to "save the configuration" changes, after which I could not get the drive detected again (there is a topic here for the issue). I ended up replacing the drive with a Pioneer and it's been working flawlessly. The LG was moved to another computer and is also working flawlessly.

No real help to your situation, but just odd that it's the same drive/model.

9. Roadie

Roadie Thread Starter

Thanks guys. And thanks for the link for the Z87 Pro drivers lynx. Way cool, never knew those resources were available. So I still haven't had time to attempt another fix as I had to work last weekend. But I am wondering where in device manager to find IDE ATA/ATAPI. See attached images of my device manager, the first showing the normal view, the second with the "show hidden devices" box checked with the now visible CD/ROM expanded. I've expanded everything and saw nothing relating to ATA/ATAPI. Perhaps it's a sub heading of one of these entries. I'll have another go at it this weekend. Thanks.

01 NORM.jpg 02 HIDDEN DEVICES.jpg

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    They would be under "IDE ATA/ATAPI"...which isn't present in your captures.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice