1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blu ray playback

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bigchalupa, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigchalupa

bigchalupa Thread Starter

I recently got a notebook with a blu ray drive but I'm having trouble playing blu rays. I start PowerDVD 8 and click play but it doesn't play. The loading bar shows but then it fust goes to black. Then if I try to close PowerDVD it locks up & has to be killed in taskmanager.

Its a Gateway NV5391u
    AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2 MHz, 4 GB RAM
    AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
    Windows 7 x64

Please help, thanks

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

PowerDVD 8 appears to be old. Could you try upgrading to PowerDVD 10?

Peace...

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

PowerDVD version 8 came installed on a brand new laptop with a Blu-ray drive? Seems unlikely since it's an old version. PowerDVD's website lists problems with playback of Blu-ray disks on that version as a known issue.

If you just bought this computer, and it came with old software, take it back.

4. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

i bought this new pc in Nov & it came preinstalled with powerdvd7 & hp refused to upgrade it after it wouldn't work/play standard or blu ray dvds. i opted to change my blu ray drive & purchased windvd pro 10 & now everything's fine. check cyberlink's update section for your blu ray model #, it may have an update there that will help your prob. other thing to do is check with your pc manufacturer. it's their responsibility altho it got me nowhere with hp! :D

5. Kiya86

Kiya86

I bought the same computer (laptop) from HSN.com. You need to update the Cyberlink DVD software. It works. If yours do not work then you have a defected computer and should return it. Just my 2 cents :).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!