blu-ray

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acrismne

it's not so much that it's urgent, but i have several blu-ray dvds that i occasionally watch on my laptop. i have the vaio nw series, model vgn-nw265f and pre-installed was intervideo windvd for blu-ray. i had no problems with watching blu-ray discs but when i put in Avatar, the computer recognized the dvd and prompted me for a few updates and wouldn't let me view or open the dvd, period. i went to the website it instructed me to go to, input my laptop information for accuracy of update installation of the program but the problem still insisted. i even scoured the hidden files to remove the software updates but could not locate the file, not even in the list of all installed updates in the uninstall section of the control panel.

i have windows 7 64-bit and it is very frustrating because now that i have the updates installed, my graphics interface for the start menu is glitching, the mouse lags, the system itself shows a ridiculously higher cpu usage even with no programs running and the windows i open no longer pop up at its usual fast speed. i don't know what's wrong, but i would greatly appreciate it if anyone could post a possible solution.

i really hope i don't have to run the chkdsk utility or the system file checker. :/

cwwozniak

Chuck
Your problem may related to a similar problem someone is having with Avatar and a different model Sony drive ...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100422200220AAfBn0q
just got off the phone with Sony support (I have the VGN-FW560F) I was told there is an ongoing problem with 20th Century Fox Blu-Ray discs. "Avatar" is brand new and because there are constant Blu-Ray updates that are being developed this particular movie will not play at this time.
Sony is working on a patch for the movie now.

I will be calling back tomorrow as they are now closed. I was given a reference number and priority assistance when I call back tomorrow. I tried the standard def Avatar disc and it works just fine. So, will just have to wait for the patch for the blu ray version.
EDIT: A posting at consumerist.com:
DRM-Ravaged Avatar DVDs May Not Work On Blu-ray Players
http://consumerist.com/2010/04/drm-ravaged-avatar-dvds-may-not-work-on-blu-ray-players.html

ww927bin

Banned
I heard that Blu-ray company has released new version of Blu-ray Disc with MKB V17 protection to prevent its Blu-ray discs from being decrypted.

I guess that means that players will be broken too until flashed with new firmware.

I'm a little suspicious about the support that I am going to get from Funai for my Maggy BD player regarding playing these new discs.

etaf

Wayne
My vaio update is showing new firmware for the bluray player - which is dated 25/3/2010
Have you checked for updated on your Vaio
Programs > Vaio Update (5) is the latest link

I would check to see if there is a hotfix for the WinDVD software.

I had the same problem with Avatar on my HTPC that uses ArcSofts Total Media Theatre. They just came out with a Hotfix 2 days ago specifically for the Avatar disc. The hotfix was not available from an automatic update from the program, I had to visit their support forum to find it. Maybe the same thing is happening with WinDVD

valis

why did I just know that avatar and drm would be waltzing hand in hand?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online