1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blu-ray

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by acrismne, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acrismne

acrismne Thread Starter

it's not so much that it's urgent, but i have several blu-ray dvds that i occasionally watch on my laptop. i have the vaio nw series, model vgn-nw265f and pre-installed was intervideo windvd for blu-ray. i had no problems with watching blu-ray discs but when i put in Avatar, the computer recognized the dvd and prompted me for a few updates and wouldn't let me view or open the dvd, period. i went to the website it instructed me to go to, input my laptop information for accuracy of update installation of the program but the problem still insisted. i even scoured the hidden files to remove the software updates but could not locate the file, not even in the list of all installed updates in the uninstall section of the control panel.

i have windows 7 64-bit and it is very frustrating because now that i have the updates installed, my graphics interface for the start menu is glitching, the mouse lags, the system itself shows a ridiculously higher cpu usage even with no programs running and the windows i open no longer pop up at its usual fast speed. i don't know what's wrong, but i would greatly appreciate it if anyone could post a possible solution.

i really hope i don't have to run the chkdsk utility or the system file checker. :/

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your problem may related to a similar problem someone is having with Avatar and a different model Sony drive ...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100422200220AAfBn0q
    EDIT: A posting at consumerist.com:
    DRM-Ravaged Avatar DVDs May Not Work On Blu-ray Players
    http://consumerist.com/2010/04/drm-ravaged-avatar-dvds-may-not-work-on-blu-ray-players.html

3. ww927bin

ww927bin Banned

I heard that Blu-ray company has released new version of Blu-ray Disc with MKB V17 protection to prevent its Blu-ray discs from being decrypted.

I guess that means that players will be broken too until flashed with new firmware.

I'm a little suspicious about the support that I am going to get from Funai for my Maggy BD player regarding playing these new discs.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    My vaio update is showing new firmware for the bluray player - which is dated 25/3/2010
    Have you checked for updated on your Vaio
    Programs > Vaio Update (5) is the latest link

5. parasolution

parasolution

I would check to see if there is a hotfix for the WinDVD software.

I had the same problem with Avatar on my HTPC that uses ArcSofts Total Media Theatre. They just came out with a Hotfix 2 days ago specifically for the Avatar disc. The hotfix was not available from an automatic update from the program, I had to visit their support forum to find it. Maybe the same thing is happening with WinDVD

6. valis

valis Moderator

why did I just know that avatar and drm would be waltzing hand in hand?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice