1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blu_Ray Burning. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Magic Dan, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Magic Dan

Magic Dan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    I need to burn 6 Blu-Ray disks for a film going on the film festival circuit. The film will be shown in full size theaters mostly in USA but also in Europe. For those in the know, I have already made a DCP but some theaters are asking for Blu-Rays either to show or as a back up for the DCP

Is it difficult to burn Blu-ray disks? I want to burn a full HD file 1920 x 1080 . Yes, I will need to purchase a Blue-ray writer but that's not a big deal. I guess I will need to buy some software as well.

Am I better to leave this for the professionals? They are quoting $276.00 for the master then about $21.00 each for the disks. Seems crazy when I can do it for half that and own the gear for the next film.

Also I will need to burn NTSC region 0 at 24 fps. Someone told me I need to burn 23.976 fps but my understanding is this is better for TV and 24 fps for cinema. Any input would be hugely appreciated.

And very importantly. Is the finished product from a professional going to be any different than if I do it myself?????? I will have huge dollops of egg on my face if the Blu-ray doesn't play properly or the quality is not up to scratch.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What about using a USB Flash drive ??
    I'd think a Theater could handle USB
    Much faster reading/writing and cheaper ??

I'd only use a Verbatim DVD ... (for quality) ... and print on it with my Epson XP640 ....
    using Verbatim Hub Printables .... But ink jet is not waterproof.
    What Video Editor are you using ???

3. Magic Dan

Magic Dan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Mmmm interesting. Thanks for that.
    Using a USB is an option but they would need to ingest it first its 12.6 Gb. You say use Verbatim DVD but its Blu-Ray I need to write. The film was edited on Avid Media Composer. I know I will need some software but which one in particular is my next conundrum.

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  5. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I use Krylon Gloss Acrylic Crystal Clear. Ink doesn't bleed into clear coat. Now water proof but, not alcohol or other solvents.

I used to operate a Primera Bravo II Robotic CD/DVD burner and printer. That ink wasn't water soluble. I wish there was an ink that was set via Ultraviolet that could be used in a CD/DVD printer { sigh }

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  6. Magic Dan

Magic Dan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
  7. Magic Dan

Magic Dan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    Don't forget its a Blu-Ray burner I need not a DVD burner

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I quoted the Roxio page I referenced. It stated "Burn up to 50GB of data content onto one Blu-ray disc". You stated 12.5GB so that is within your needs.

I also provided a link to a Pioneer BluRay burner and BluRay writable/printable discs.

Please re-read the content at each referenced URL. I sourced BluRay media, burner and software.
    When you look at the Pioneer drive, check the "Specifications" section and the "Write Speed". You'll see it supports writing to a myriad of optical media.

I installed a Pioneer BluRay burner in my home built ASUS which I use to Author DVD movies.

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I don't know a lot about actual Blu Rays which contain movies as pressed by various movie studios. But I do know enough to say it might not be as easy as just dropping a file onto a Blu Ray disc. This is assuming the movie theaters are using an actual Blu Ray player. A pressed movie Blu Ray has a table of contents and has a Java component to run through various special features which is probably required to run the Blu Ray as a standard movie Blu Ray. The files might also have to be formatted in a certain format too. If I remember correctly, DVDs used a VOB file format.

But I do know some Blu Ray players can play different video file formats such as MKV, AVI, MOV, MPG, etc. I would talk to the movie theaters asking for your movie on Blu Ray to give you more information on the player they're using and if you have to have your Blu Ray set up the same as a commercially pressed movie or if you can just drop a file onto a Blu Ray disc.

10. Magic Dan

Magic Dan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    You are absolutely right. I looked up the Roxio Creator NXT 7 and didn't click on your link. Thanks for the clarification.

11. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    That is was the Roxio software is all about. You create the content, you use Roxio to write to BluRay media and it uses industry standard BluRay formatting. When you get down do it, a BluRay optical media is based upon the wavelength of Blue Light. On the electromagnet spectrum Blue has higher frequency and shorter wavelength. That means you can use a Blue Laser's to write more data in a given space.

Many optical media appliance can play numerous formats. My Sony unit is not only a DVD Movie player put it can "play"; JPEGS, MP3 files, Movie File Formats, Video CDs, etc. Even VLC Player can play a BluRay Movie disc.

Reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

12. Magic Dan

Magic Dan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danny
    You may be able to answer my conundrum re fps. My local post production guy is telling me my 24 fps film will need to be converted to 23.978 fps to be burned onto a Blu-ray. I would rather not convert. My understanding is that all Blu-ray players play both 23.978 and 24 fps plus many more as well. Your thoughts

13. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    There I can't help you. I know the eye sees the best fluid motion at 32fps. However industry standard is 24fps.

So I did some research. Reference...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p

It isn't 23.978 fps it is 23.976 fps

14. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    On another note...
    I use Corel VideoStudio so I was curious what is stated about creating a BluRay movie using my software.

So if I replaced my BD-ROM with a BD Writer or added another drive, I could buy the BluRay Plugin for my version of Corel VdeoStudio and I could burn a BluRay movie. However, the movies I author are too short and not HD to require BluRay so I don't have a need for it yet.

I had a friend who didn't just have Avid Media Composer, he had the full Avid hardware setup. Avid Media Composer is software much like Corel VideoStudio.

So I went to avid.com and I found this...
    How to author and burn Blu-ray and DVD discs
    and...
    http://community.avid.com/forums/p/69863/390642.aspx

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    BD-R is a Blue Ray.
    DVD-R or DVD+R is a standard DVD

I don’t think burning to a Blue Ray is worth it.
    If a flash is not problem …. Use One.

A “Video DVD” must be authored …(containing vob files) .. (create menus and menu markers)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_authoring
    https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-dvd-authoring-software.htm

DVDs are obsolete … (Low resolution)
    Blue Rays are for old TVs, before newer technology and cheaper to market to the public than a flash.
    Still takes a newer DVD reader to play Blue Ray … or to up-scale to a newer HD TV

Most newer TVs and DVD players can read a USB flash with a Video file … (I use a mp4 video file)
    A flash is much faster reading than a DVD.

Blue Ray DVD is really slow to write to, Must be authored, The time to “author” will be much longer ... and to save the DVD.iso file to burn more DVDs will take more disc space.

I have avoided going to Blue Ray because of the cost, file size, time and trouble and will use a flash if needed to transport to a newer Big Screen.

I burn many regular DVDs a month in Wide Screen and at the max 720x480 resolution.
    And upload to YouTube in a 1280x720 Definition for streaming to newer TVs.
    On a flash, I can go up to 1920x1080 …. (My older camcorder files)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice