1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue file or folder name in explore on C:

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by texaskandi, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texaskandi

texaskandi Thread Starter

I was trying to download a program, don't remember which one, but when I rebooted and went to right click explore C: the first few folders and files have now got blue font instead of the usual black and no one seems to know why can any one email me and let me know, I am not sure i can find the answer in here I am new to this forum and I really need a answer. I have windows XP and only use the machine for games, online, letters, and pics. I have ask a couple of techs in the real world and they say bring it in and we will see. Well someone should be able to just say I think it is this. can someone help me please. texaskandi

2. bredindo

bredindo

They could be links. They're always in blue. Just click on one and see if it opens to a web page.

Hope that helps

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The blue font means NTFS compression has been turned on for that file or folder.
    Right click the file/folder, click Properties, click the Advanced... button on the General tab.
    You can check or uncheck the Compress contents to save disk space box as desired.

Compression does take a little bit of processor overhead, but unless it's a much older system shouldn't be noticeable.
    Note that it will make data recovery extremely difficult, if not impossible, without a lot of cost, so unless you are really desperate for disk space, and can't get a larger drive, probably best to leave things uncompressed.

Some updates and installers will store their files in a compressed folder, so that may be what you are seeing, is folders the program you downloaded create.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!