1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue scream of death?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by imsite, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imsite

imsite Thread Starter

I got home and turned my computer on. It had been on for about an hour when a blue screen came on with the message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check woth the manufacturer for drier updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such a catching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove ordvisable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technncal information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005,0x805452BF,0xB1FCFAD4,0x00000000)

Begining dump of physical mermery
    Dumping physical memory to disk:

I have a Microsoft Windows XP Media Edition 2005
    Compaq Presario SR1750NX
    Yesterday my Norton protection expired. I have a another virus protection on my computer that I had download a while back. My DVD/CD drive wasn't working (the tray wouldn't move in or out), so I had to remove and fix the tray (also done yesterday). When I put it back in my monitor was acting weird. It would blur and then come back into focus. I opened up the tower and checked my connection, and everything seem to be okay after that.
    So, now I don't know what to do. I tried starting the computer on safe mode, but it wouldn't do it. I don't know if I was doing it correctly. And if I had managed to get it to safe mode I wouldn't know what to do anyway.
    Please help! Thanks.

2. BigTobster

BigTobster

Get to safe mode my constantly tapping F8 at boot. Then just choose from the list.

May also be worth going to BIOS and putting into a simpler boot mode - "Disable BIOS memory options such a catching or shadowing."

If your hardware is giving you jip, it probably relates to that. I would suggest making sure that all components are properly grounded and you are getting good contacts on memory, cables etc. Common BSOD errors come from Video adapters so if you can swap that out that would be a fantastic place to start.

Swapping hard drives is much quicker and easier and also worth a try but unlikely in this instance.

3. imsite

imsite Thread Starter

I checked all the connections make sure they were in. I got it on safe mode, but I'm not sure what I need to do now.

4. BigTobster

BigTobster

Operate the device in Safe Mode. If it BSOD's then it is much more likely to be a hardware error. If it it doesn't then it is much more likely to be an Operating System error.

If hardware ain't broke - don't fix it :)

Just do your thang on it for a day or so - if and where you can. See if it dies. Either way, let us know :)

Also, if you need to, "Safe Mode with Networking" should permit an internet connection - if you need it.

5. imsite

imsite Thread Starter

It would never go to safe mode, so I had to try to do a system restore. I had it going for a little while but, then the blue screen came up again. I've been reading everywhere that I need to update my drivers, but I can't get to my drivers if I can't bring the computer up. Is there a way to do it when all I get is the blue screen?

6. BigTobster

BigTobster

If it won't go into Safe Mode then it is more likely to be a hardware error. What happened when you tried?

You could try updating the drivers but it seems improbably that you would suddenly start getting an error when your drivers have previously been hunky-dory.

Installation will be tricky if it keeps BSOD'ing but one sneaky method would be to use some sort of small Linux Distro on a Live USB. This will have their own drivers that will be different to your current drivers. Use the machine for a while using a Live USB and if it crashes (it won't BSOD as it isn't Windows) then it is likely to be a hardware fault. Be aware that you are in fact completely disengaging the hard drive in this method so if the Live USB works OK then it could either by your OS install or the HD that is troublesome.

Take a look at Puppy Linux as an idea for a Live USB. Make sure you don't overwrite your hard drive though! You want Live USB mode - not an installation (you will be prompted when you boot to the USB).

Normally you could update your drivers in Safe Mode (sometimes...) but if you can't get to Safe Mode then that would be tricky. There might be another way to do it through CMD at boot but I have no idea how you would do it from there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!