BLUE SCREEN....0x00000005...0x8054BFCB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HollyG

Something about windows updates, but there were no updates available. Check the driver verifier. Couldn't really read the blues screen since the sides were cut off. Haven't installed anything recently. Don't know what to do next.
MS WINS XP Version 2002 SP 3
Dell Dimension Intel Pent 3 GB

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Are you sure it has anything to do with Windows Update?

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Possible Resolutions:

# If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

# Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.

HollyG

I haven't added anything to this computer in a long time. As for a driver I didn't update any drivers. Would that have been in a Windows update?

Is this BSOD repeating or did it just occur once after visiting Winup?

Are you able to boot to Windows in Normal, Safe, or Last Known Good Configuration at this point?

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
It's a Pool Corruption issue. Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSP.SYS. It's a driver error. Do you have Avast antivirus?

HollyG

Yes, I installed Avast. I had AVG 7.5 and I could never completely remove it from my computer. Someone here suggested I install Avast. So what do you mean? Uninstall Avast, then how do I test? What do I do? Should I disconnect from the internet when I do that since I won't have an anti-virus running?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
When are you getting the BSOD? Are you on the Web when it happens? Or, does it occur at Startup?

HollyG

It only happened once. But it seems my computer is running slow, sometimes the pages just hang awhile until they fully load. I just switched to Verizon Fios I thought it would be quicker than DSL.

HollyG

I was running IE 7 just now. I wanted to log off so I tried to X out of the window. It would not shut off and the window itself remains open but with a complete blank screen except for the address window and toolbars. When I do ctrl alt del it shows Windows is running. I kept clicking on end task and then I go the blue screen. I just had to reboot and tried to send an error report but it wouldn't go through. I just logged on here through firefox, but that blank IE window is open again. I'm assuming that when I try to exit it out of it again I'll get the blue screen. Just wanted to post this now to explain when this happens.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
You could try removing Avast with the Avast Uninstall Utility. But, before doing this, go to the Avira website and download the free Avira AntiVir Personal antivirus. Don't install it yet. Uninstall Avast first.

When Avast is completely removed, install Avira and you'll be able to go on the web again and test your Internet Explorer browser to see if you'll still get the BSODs.

HollyG

Ok I uninstalled Avast and installed Avira Antivirus. Does this include a firewall? The Windows Firewall always goes on when I start my computer. Should I leave it on? Also, Windows Security is showing my Antivirus is off now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online