1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen after boot-up, after installing a new Graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HerrBaboon, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HerrBaboon

HerrBaboon Thread Starter

Hello all,

I really hope someone can help me with this problem, since I have been spending already quite some time on this error. So here is the deal:

A friend of mine has quite a mediocre computer and he decided that he wants to play Company of Heroes (which is a game from 2008 I think). As expected, his old videocard wasnt good enough, so I helped him find a good graphics card in order to play this game ad perhaps also others. Its an older system so it has only a AGP slot.

So he bought a Sapphire HD3650 AGP. And because his old PSU didnt supply the power this card needs, I looked for an better PSU which he bought as well. But now comes the problem. The old drivers were deleted by using some driver sweeper program. After that, new ATI drivers were installed, but after this the system did not recognize the new videocard. If I went to device manager, the VGA onboard would be listed a screenadapter.

Apparantly, this is something that happens to more people, since ATI has a hotfix for this problem available, which I downloaded and installed. After the installation was complete, a reboot was required which I of course did. When rebooting, I got the blue screen for a short moment, just before one expects the windows log on screen to appear, after which it immidiatly reboots.

This keeps on happening. I am able to go in safemode. If I go to device manager and turn the graphicscard off (which is indeed recognized now), I can reboot normally.

Ok guys, now the question is of course: have you any idea how to avoid this blue screen so that I can use this videocard?

Thanks in advance.

2. HerrBaboon

HerrBaboon Thread Starter

Nobody who has any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice