1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen after installing updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrap1, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrap1

mrap1 Thread Starter

I've been trying to install the latest critical updates from Microsoft for the past month and everytime I keep getting the same error. After I let autoupdate detect and install what I need, the computer needs to reboot to complete the installation. When I reboot, the computer gets as far as the Win XP pro logo, just before the logon screen comes up, a blue screen appears with the following error message: "autochk program not found - skipping autocheck" After a few minutes the computer reboots and goes through the same cycle. The only way for me to actually get into windows is either through safe mode, or to pick the last configuration that worked option. After I get insto Windows, I uninstall the new updates and everything is fine again. I've tried to copy the check disk file from my XP CD into the system 32 directory, but that still didn't fix the problem. I think I've narrowed my problem to one of the following updates:
    KB828750
    KB824105
    KB824146
    KB828026
    KB819696

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix the problem?

By the way I'm running XP Pro with all updates prior to the ones that came out in the last month.
    The error message appeared exactly as I wrote it, including the misspelled "autochk".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice