1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen and restart

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by panjameld, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panjameld

panjameld Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. I started having blue screen errors a couple of months ago so I installed a new HD on my computer. Still getting blue screen. This is the information I found about the unexpected shut down:

Windows

Summary
    Shut down unexpectedly

Date
    ‎1/‎6/‎2011 12:32 AM

Status
    Report sent

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.28
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C0000005
    BCP2: 828B4928
    BCP3: AA434700
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    Bucket ID: 0x8E_Ntfs!NtfsFilterCallbackAcquireForCreateSection+31
    Server information: 0228e21d-0b2d-4423-881c-f820d7fa28fd

What should I do?

2. w7pro

w7pro

Microsoft has a page that gives a few tips that includes doing a system restore or trying to access your computer in Safe Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

I'm not sure if you tried any of these methods, but I talked to some friends of mine who've had this Windows 7 and Vista and the way that they had gone about it (albeit slightly extreme) was to do a clean instal of their operating systems. Hopefully you'll have your data backed up before you try that, but I would give the page and some of the other ways a shot first.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

3. panjameld

panjameld Thread Starter

I just installed the HD on Dec 31st and the first time I got the blue screen after that was on January 2nd...then again on January 6th. Do you really think doing another clean install would fix the problem since, I was having the problem BEFORE I put the new HD in my computer? The new HD is the 1TB drive and we did a fresh install from CD on that drive when it was installed. The drive was purchased new so, there was nothing on it when we installed it.

4. w7pro

w7pro

Anything is worth a try. The worse it could be, however, is some problem with the HD itself. It's better to rule out the issues that could be easily remedied before assuming the worst of the situation.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

5. panjameld

panjameld Thread Starter

I understand the easy stuff should be ruled out first but, I installed the new HD for this same exact reason. It's difficult to believe that two HDs are causing the exact same problem and within 7 days of being swapped. I ran the embedded "check disk" software to check the HD for errors and bad spots but it came back with nothing found. I also ran the memory test embedded in Windows 7...same result. Could it be a driver issue or maybe one of the integrated components gone bad?

6. w7pro

w7pro

Yeah, that's the problem with something like the BSOD is that it could be a myriad of issues, driver issues being a possibility. But it does sound suspcious that two HDs have the same exact problem. Since you also did a clean install, there shouldn't be any malware or anything of the sort. The only thing I can think of is that there may be some other hardware issue that neither one has thought of.

7. panjameld

panjameld Thread Starter

I've considered things like sound card, video card and WAN card since they are all integrated into the MB. WAN card because sometimes, I lose my internet connection and the local gateway has to be reset. Is there anyway to determine whether or not it's the WAN card other than installing a new one and taking the current one out of service? I have a card reader but it is a stand alone card not integrated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice