1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen appears, then quickly restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by genuine_fake, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. genuine_fake

genuine_fake Thread Starter

I have given my sister my old Averatec laptop that has Windows XP on it. While she is using it, eventually a blue screen appears, which is the precursor to it restarting suddenly. It happens so fast that we cannot read what the blue screen says. After it starts back up, we get a microsoft report saying a serious error has occured. This might not help, but I'll list it just in case. The error signature is:

BCCode: 7f BCP1: 00000000 BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product 768_1

And the error report contents list the two files:

\Temp\WERa375.dir00\Mini112407-06.dmp
    \Temp\WERa375.dir00\sysdata.xml

I don't know if this is related or not, but the laptop has lately not been able to run on battery either. It will only run when plugged in. If unplugged, it shuts down immediately.

Is this a virus? If so, is there any hope without reformatting? I accidentally uninstalled the program that contained the OS files when I first got the computer.

We greatly appreciate any help!

2. Xkarinx

Xkarinx Banned

If u have the system restore cd try using that. You can also google search your probelm and get some more info on it.

3. genuine_fake

I did a bit of reading around, and found out how to set it not to automatically restart after an error occurs (control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery). Well I waited for it to happen again and when it did the screen just turned black. I couldn't see a thing but I could tell it was still on. The only thing I could do was turn it off with the power button.

After booting it back up, I still get the same error message. And it still goes black at random times, as it did with the blue screen.

I updated the chipset drivers and got every windows update I could. I have no idea what's wrong here.

4. zabusant

zabusant

A common culprit is the video driver - try updating that. Not making any promisses tho!:)

If this is a recent thing, you could try system restore (Start>All programs>Accessories>System tools>system restore)

Oh, if you give me the model number or/and serial, I can give you the correct drivers:) You can usually find it on a sticker on the laptop (sometimes on the bottom)

5. Xkarinx

Xkarinx Banned

If you created any restore points befor the problem occured u might wanna try to restore it to a time it was not having a error, hope that helps

6. genuine_fake

Thanks Zabusant! I was looking and found some but I wasn't sure which ones were most recent. The card is a via/s3g unichrome pro. The laptop is Averatec 3260 series, part no AV3270-EE1.

I am going to try the system restore now, thanks so much for the help so far you two! I'll post back to tell if it works.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

System Restore is always worth a try and often the quickest solution to a recent problem.

If you need further help ...

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7f

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

8. zabusant

zabusant

9. genuine_fake

System Restores didn't work. Here is the dumpcheck folder.

I will try all new drivers if you don't find anything.

Attached Files:

10. The Hound

The Hound

If you run without the battery installed-just the ac power- do you still get the errors?

11. genuine_fake

I don't think the laptop can function without a battery in it. The dock where the battery goes is right next to the port for the power cord. The battery makes up a portion of the back edge of the laptop.

12. zabusant

zabusant

Most laptops will. Try it:)

This could also happen because of overheating. Is the fan working?

13. genuine_fake

Hehe, you were right. It does work without the battery. It just looks a little funny since a chunk of it is missing.

I'll have to wait a while to tell if it will do it again with the battery taken out.

The fan sounds like it's working. I might try to clean it out.

14. zabusant

zabusant

A can of compressed air usually does the trick. I wouldn advise against opening up a laptop by yourself - they can be tricky:)

15. The Hound

The Hound

Opening them is usually not so tough---I always have trouble getting everything back in the box....

....and invariably end up with parts left over.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice