1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen appears when reinstalling windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ultragoon, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

Hey guys,

My computer is randomly doing some wierd crashings and nothing I do seems to sort it out so I have backed up all my files on an external and decided to rebuild. Unfortunately my computer is being an *** in this field too, for when I insert the windows install disk and wait for the "Starting up Windows" caption at the bottom, it comes up with a blue screen of death(which is incredibly infuriating by the way). The blue screen itself says that I should CHKDSK /F and a code: 0x0000007B. I have run a "chkdsk" but the /F seems to elude me. I would prefer to do this in the quickest and simplest way possible but im not sure whether deleting the C drive and starting from there will solve the problem.

Can you guys give me some advice on what to do here?

Thank you in advance :D

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Run MemTest86 for 8+ hrs, or until an error appears.
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    Runs from a bootable disk; floppy or optical.

Run hard disk drive diags.

If you still have a working version of Windows, run OCCT to test the CPU & GPU.

Boot to the recovery console & run chkdsk /r

/r runs 5 stages. At what stage do error messages occur? Please provide the exact error message.

Have you performed the steps outlined here?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Any more to the stop message?

General stop message troubleshooting advice.
    http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

4. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

Woah, thanks!

I'll give them a try now.

5. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

Hmm. I have had problems with memory before, it has since been solved, the memory sticks replaced. In fact I used the very same test. The problem there was that system files were being deleted gradually, but this time the computer crashes every time I try and run something at all complicated, looping the sound. Eventually it will crash sometime today as well. It started when I opened up a webpage and it said it was installing something. It crashes before the scans of "Malwarebytes anti Malware" and "Avira AntiVir" can finish, so the virus remains untouched. My computer has also slowed down considerably since then.

I have run Hard drive diagnostics yesterday, All passes.

I'll try the others after dinner, I'll be back.

Thanks for the help by the way :).

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Brand, model & model # for the motherboard & HDD, please.

Brand, model, model #, MB or GB per stick of ram; also HZ; DDR2 or DDR3 or other?

Which processor?

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

You are welcome

chkdsk /r results will be in event viewer, applications or system, under the event winlogon

Open that event. On the right margin, left click the button with 2 pieces of paper. That will copy the details to your computer's clipboard. Paste into a reply. :)

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

I am confused. If you re-install Windows, are you re-formatting, or installing a 2nd copy of XP onto the infected drive?

If you are installing a 2nd Windows onto an infected drive, I don't know if I can help you. I am not certified by TGF to remove malware.

RF123

9. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

Hm. Well my main purpose is to Rebuild so that is what i plan to do: Delete the C drive maybe keep the D drive and start from there. Bang and the **** is gone!

10. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

Im sorry im not that knowledgeable with the inner workings of the tower.

11. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

How would I get into event viewer?

12. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

Hmm. Ok hang on im gonna try and format the C drive and go from there. I'll tell you how it goes if it screws up, on a different PC.

13. Ultragoon

Ultragoon Thread Starter

Ok Rainforest, Im sorry but I dont think Ive told you the whole story that clearly. Im trying to reformat the C drive at the moment but I cant get into the setup because of the Blue screen issue. I do not know how to fix this. Thats what I need your help with.

Can you help me?

14. staticelec

staticelec

so you have two hdds correct?
    and when you try install a fresh windows install it wont let you start up?

15. staticelec

staticelec

so far you have come to the conclusion that your hdd c: drive is infected.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice