blue screen/automatically reboots

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Haysoos

i recently built up a system at home but im getting such a weird message and no one seems to be able to figure it out

the system:
xp pro OS
amd athlon 2.2ghz cpu
jetway v400db motherboard
256 megs ddr 333mhz ram
40 gig ibm hdd
geforce 2 mx400 graphics card
Onboard crystal media 5.1 sound

now every time i exit a game the system reboots itself and i get the error message
"irql not greater or less than"
,i have tested the card and ram with someone elses and its fine.......

then at the bottom it says cmuda.sys and then the code

Does this happen when you exit any game, or a specific one?

I don't know if this is the same for XP, but in w2k you get a memory.dmp file in the winnt (windows in XP) folder that contains the information in RAM at the time of the crash. There is also a minidump folder that contains a minidump file by date for each crash (memory.dmp is overwritten each time it crashes). There is a utility in support tools (again w2k for sure) called dumpchk.exe and it can be run against both files to provide an output containing the register contents and a list of what was running at the time of the crash.

The important registers are the Stop code and register #3. The Stop code informs what kind of stop, although you already know that - IRQ not less than or equal. Register 3 tells you the address of the execution that caused the crash. From that address, you need to cross reference the list of files running and their start addresses to find the file that caused the crash. If you have several minidump files and they all point to the same file, you can then figure out how to fix that file (replace with newer version, check MS site for info on that file, etc.).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online