1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen crash during Video Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sniperfx20, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sniperfx20

sniperfx20 Thread Starter

Hello,

I randomly have issues of game's crashing into "BlueScreen" errors. Well the screen isn't really a bluescreen but rather the image of the game becomes 'corrupted'. Sometimes you can still hear the audio while the screen is frozen in place and it sometimes auto restarts the computer on it's own. I am either playing World of Warcraft or Starcraft II.

These are my solutions:
    1. Though the error occurs in both games, I have re-installed them both games multiple times.

2. I have installed the latest drivers, including my graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. Problem Persists

3. I initially had Windows Vista 64 Bit running, but I had just did a clean and fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. Problem persists.

4. I have 'cleaned' out my desktop computer from dust and took out the graphic card and placed it back in.

This is the "error" Windows 7 caught:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 124
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: FFFFFA8008C583D8
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\051512-33181-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-66440-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

My computer specs:
    HP Intel 2 Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    BIOS Date: 09/05/08 Ver 5.30
    Direct X 11

If anyone can provide any constructive suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

To me it sounds like the graphics card is either overheating and seizing up or just has some other hardware glitch that only becomes apparent when its more stressed.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I agree with fairnooks, it does sound like a problem with the GPU under stress. This could be due to its age, overheating, power issue or other factors.

Having said that, I would suggest you update Windows as it would appear you are currently about 17 months out of date as you don't appear to have Windows 7 SP1 installed which was released in Jan 2011. This also means you are probably missing a number of other stability and security patches and updates. I appreciate, as you said in your post, this is a fairly new clean install but you need to get it fully patched and up to date to diagnose properly.

What is the exact make and model of your PC, how old is it and have you ever upgraded / changed / added any hardware since you bought it? That is assuming its a 'big name' machine like HP, Dell, Acer etc.

If it is a self / custom build, what is the exact make and model of the motherboard, RAM, power supply etc?

The more info you can give us the better.

4. sniperfx20

sniperfx20 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!
    I will start patching it to the latest windows 7 update.
    It's a HP FQ550AA-ABA m9426f (thats what it says under dxdiag.exe).
    I bought it around 2008, since then I replaced the graphic card and power supply.

I will also open the computer and allow additional air for the graphic card fan. I truly believe it's the graphic card causing issues.

5. zigzag3143

zigzag3143

Stop 0x124 is a hardware error. I can tell you more if you upload the DMPS.

If you are overclocking try resetting your processor to standard settings and see if that helps.

If you continue to get BSOD here are some more things you may want to consider.

This is usually heat related, defective hardware, memory or even processor though it is"possible" that it is driver related (rare).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice