1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen during boot up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by StepsInSC, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StepsInSC

StepsInSC Thread Starter

As some of you know frmo helping me previously, I lost my HD a few days ago and I have spent today finding new drivers, old software I had, programs, etc... Anyways I drove to my apt. at school so I could take advantage of the T1 connection there and d'l everything I needed to. I also installed the Novell client software they provide us with. Well I'm back at home and I'm having problems. First off, during boot up its staying at the DOS screen a lot longer than usual...as usual it lists a bunch of spots on my computer...like D:\progras\novell (I don't remember exactly, if it will help I can get the exact messages. But that was all normal, or at least it did that when my computer was fine. Well it just sits there for about 30 seconds, then eventually acts like its going to load up windows but instead goes to a blue screen and gives me a fatal exception error. Again, I don't have the exact error but I can get it if it will help. All I have to do is reboot my computer. I ALWAYS get that blue screen the first time I boot up, then when I hit ctrl alt delete to reboot from that it boots up fine (although it still takes a LONG time).

Something that's probably not related, but might be...right before it says the stuff about Novell it says that my SB Live Emulation drivers can't be loaded. Don't know what that is all about, but I guess I'll try and reinstall those while I'm waiting. Again, if any more specific info is needed I'll be happy to get it...in fact I'll go ahead and get it now. I know this is a vague problem but I have no idea what could be causing it.

I forgotto mention this, but I didn't have these problems at school, but the first time I booted up here at home it happened. Also...I posted this problem before, but I was having trouble with the Microsoft Network software thats installed with Windows....because I was getting an error saying I was missing a file needed for Microsoft Networking...so I went through the steps to correct that. That might be irrelevant, but I thought perhaps there could have been some conflict b/w that and the Novell software.

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Does it do this if you start up in safe mode on the first try??
    hit f8 before windows starts to boot and then select safe mode, post back with results

3. columbo

columbo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice