Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Screen Error-Bios Update?

14K views 84 replies 5 participants last post by  Rollin' Rog 
#1 ·
I have had a bios error on my brand new Inspiron 1420 laptop twice now--causing a blue screen.

Unfortuantely, both times my computer has restarted too quickly for me to read the entire screen. I just know I saw the word "bios."

Should I update something? If so, what? Is there any way to retrieve what my error said?

The blue screen happened when I was doing several things--chatting on AIM, unzipping music files on my computer, and running iTunes with firefox open.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited to add:
I found this info on my computer--
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini082708-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 8B69E5E3
BCP3: 8C183A64
BCP4: 8C183760
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 04504cea-3865-4f15-a924-5db075b6f056

See less See more
#2 ·
First, run sysdm.cpl and go to Advanced > Startup and Recovery and take the check out of "Autoatically Restart". This will halt on the STOP screen itself. Also ensure "small memory dump" is selected under "write debugging information"

In any case you should already have some minidumps by default.

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

#4 ·
Well you have two fairly widely separated BSODs there -- but both occured in File System related modules.

The last, in NTFS.sys is a core Microsoft file system driver which crashed when trying to access invalid memory.

The first simply refers to "Pool Corruption" (meaning a driver corrupted a memory pool) but with a reference to "iastor.sys" which is a SATA controller driver. Is the computer fully updated with respect to drivers offered through Windows Updates?

So you could have an outdated or malfunctioning Sata driver -- or you might have some drive corruption generally.

Run eventvwr.msc and have a look at the Windows System log for recent repeating errors -- especiallly any referencing NTFS or Disk errors.

#5 ·
Well, crap. I hope it's the driver! However, the computer is fully updated with Windows Update drivers.

Okay--attached are screen prints of the NTFS errors--there were several...I think all on July 9.

Also--yesterday, there were lots of errors caused by "servicing" as well as two caused by "volmgr." I think the "volmgr" ones happened at/near the time of the blue screen--but there were other errors that look just like it after that time, so I dunno.

Also (again)--my computer is brand new as of the end of June--I don't know if that' s important/helpful.

Attachments

#6 ·
You're going to need to run chkdsk /r on that drive.

Since you did not post the errors in recent date order it is hard to tell what is the most current and repeating of the errors.

But before you do you might get an idea of how bad it is by running HDTune on it and seeing how many bad blocks might be present. The event viewer may also show these as "Disk" errors.

If more than a couple I would definitely take steps to backup critical data right away.

Then run chkdsk.

When you run chkdsk you will be prompted to reboot to complete it.

After chkdsk completes and reboots the log for it is available in the Event Viewer Applications log under the "Wininit" entry.

http://www.hdtune.com/

#8 ·
Yes.

That is the only one. But as I mentioned it is well to have your irreplaceable stuff backed up.

Chkdsk can and will delete corrupt files -- but those that are corrupt are usually not accessible anyway.

If you do lose anything it may be possible to recover them in Vista, but more on that later, if necessary.

#9 ·
Well, neither program found any errors--not the HD Tune or Chkdsk.

Is this good news or bad news

What's the next step?

Here's a report from the wininit file:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
112128 file records processed. 64 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 46 reparse records processed. 141222 index entries processed. 0 unindexed files processed. 112128 security descriptors processed. Cleaning up 155 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 155 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 155 unused security descriptors.
14548 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
34968784 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

299373563 KB total disk space.
67640212 KB in 96117 files.
53628 KB in 14549 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
222499 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
231457224 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
74843390 total allocation units on disk.
57864306 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 b6 01 00 56 b0 01 00 78 dd 02 00 00 00 00 00 ....V...x.......
94 52 00 00 2e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .R..............
42 00 00 00 1f 86 47 77 10 85 22 00 10 7d 22 00 B.....Gw.."..}".

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
112128 file records processed. 64 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 46 reparse records processed. 141222 index entries processed. 0 unindexed files processed. 112128 security descriptors processed. 14548 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
34970736 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

299373563 KB total disk space.
67640216 KB in 96118 files.
53628 KB in 14549 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
222499 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
231457220 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
74843390 total allocation units on disk.
57864305 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 b6 01 00 57 b0 01 00 79 dd 02 00 00 00 00 00 ....W...y.......
94 52 00 00 2e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .R..............
42 00 00 00 1f 86 fb 76 10 85 05 00 10 7d 05 00 B......v.....}..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

#10 ·
Well, that's good.

Now the question is whether the problem you encountered is a repeating one, and if so, under what conditions?

If you get a NEW BSOD, post the minidump for that.

Also, go to the Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced > Reliablilty monitor.

Is anything mentioned there as a specfic problem?

What is the overall reliability index? If it took a nose dive at some point, when?

By the way are there any any external drives attached, even "thumbdrives"? Those NTFS errors could have been for one of those.

#13 ·
Weird. I definitely have Adobe--I open PDF's with it frequently. I don't know what Broadcom is.

How can I get you a better screenshot? Since I don't know how to interpret the information, I am not sure what is the most important to capture.

Thanks!!

#14 ·
Broadcom is a network adapter.

Adobe has its own "auto update" facility but it prompts rather than installs automatically.

Perhaps you have some program that searches for and installs updates automatically?

Might be good to have a gander at a HijackThis scanlog.

Download and install HijackThis. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis

#15 ·
I don't think I have any program that searches for updates automatically...

Here's my hijack this log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:34:33 PM, on 8/30/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
C:\Windows\OEM02Mon.exe
C:\Program Files\Sigmatel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\Dell\BAE\BAE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM02Mon.exe] C:\Windows\OEM02Mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {49312E18-AA92-4CC2-BB97-55DEA7BCADD6} (WMI Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysProExe.CAB
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll C:\Windows\system32\guard32.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\G2AWinLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\aestsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service (cmdAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: Dock Login Service (DockLoginService) - Stardock Corporation - C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDock\DockLogin.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 6495 bytes

Thank you so much for your help!

#16 ·
Don't really see anything there either.

I do see you have some remote assistance program installed -- was that in use on that day?

And are you continuing to encounter any problems at the moment?

I would be a bit suspicious of the Comodo firewall if you get any future, repeating BSODs, particularly during reboots or installs.

#17 ·
Yes--the remote stuff I used that day after the blue screen. I was online w/ Dell tech support. They didn't really do anything though. Just increased the amount of virtual memory--but couldn't explain how that was related to the events. Could virtual memory have caused them? Also, since they changed my setting, what do you think my virtual memory should be set at? I have 4gm of RAM.

I would love to get rid of Comodo--do you recommend another firewall? The thing drives me nuts.

I have had no problems since the two blue screens, though since it has happened twice I am a little wary.

Also, what is the remote assistance software called? I'd like to uninstall it, but couldn't figure out what it was.

Thanks again :)

#18 ·
Don't know if this has to do with anything, but my computer just froze. I had to do a manual restart. I was just browsing the internet when it happened.

I checked the minidump spot/the problems, etc log--but nothing was listed.

Just thought I'd keep you as informed as possible :)

I appreciate your help!

#19 ·
With 4gig of ram you really shouldn't need much virtual memory I have just 1 gig and do fine with 1536 max and half that for initial.

The more physical memory you have, the less virtual memory you need.

I would generally only increase it if you were getting " out of memory" type errors.

Freezes can be caused by a lot of things -- sometimes overheating, sometimes display drivers -- sometimes a browser lockup, which is what you probably had. If that happens again try doing a ctr-alt-del and selecting the task manager/Process tab. End Process on the browser manually if you can.

Hard to tell unless there is a pattern.

As for firewalls, I have never had any problems just running the built in one.

Vista's is actually superior to XPs as it has both incoming and outgoing filtering.

The Remote Assistance is the "GotoAssist" stuff from Citrix.

And you're most welcome for any help.

#20 ·
A few final questions:

1. Should I configure the Vista firewall in any particular way to get maximum protection?

2. Is AVG 8 the best anti-virus protection?

3. The only other error I've been seeing regularly on the computer is connected to Microsoft Word. Frequently after I save my work and close the program, it says it has "stopped working," then checks for a solution to the problem, but can't find anything. It re-starts then, and I am able to close it without problems. I don't know if that's related--probably not--but it's annoying. Anything I can do to make it stop?

I'll keep watching for another blue screen error (not that they're hard to miss :) ) and post the minidump. I don't know whether to be worried that this is something serious or not :-/

#21 ·
The "stopped" working error is enigmatic and there isn't much you can do to troubleshoot it except to look for a pattern. It may be due to a program conflict and you could "clean boot" the machine -- but if it is not fairly predictable this isn't practical to test >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Nothing is needed to configure the Vista firewall -- its default settings are quite adequate.

It may prompt you from time to time on whether to allow or deny a particular program (example: "Real Player", or an installed game) -- you can always open the settings configuration and undo a choice.

What antivirus is adequate really is a very individual issue -- I've never been more than a minimalist. But those with little control over who uses their computer may need more than AVG.

Most of the heavy duty ones inject a lot of running processes -- which I don't like and sooner or later seem to cause some mysterious problem.

Unless you are having regular malware problems you should be fine with AVG.

#22 ·
#23 ·
You should be aware that the Inspirorn 1420 is one of Dell's models that has a potential Nvidia GPU problem >> http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/5899

So, yes, I would apply that update, and also start a support contact with Dell over this issue since you may need warranty support for this in the future.

Keep the Sata driver update handy, if you get any more BSODs upload the minidumps and if they seem Sata related, I'll suggest installing that.

Hey don't worry about questions, ask all you need. I suspect there may be more with this Dell model, unfortunately.

Start talking to them though about the possible Nvidia GPU problem, and keep this handy >> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/arch...ment-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

#26 ·
Okay, so this Word error has me concerned that there's something wrong w/ my hardware...

An image is attached here. Any ideas?

I get this error when I try to close Word. First it says "Microsoft Word has stopped working," then shows this, then says "Microsoft Word is restarting." And then it restarts w/ no problem.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.