1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen Error Due to Incompatible Motorola Wireless USB Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dcolem01, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcolem01

dcolem01 Thread Starter

Hi everybody. I am running windows Vista Home Premium, and am frequently getting a blue-screen error that shuts down the computer.

The problem appears to be with wind502u.sys, a driver for the attached "Motorola Wireless USB Adapter."

The error is "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I thought to myself, "oh, easy fix! Just install the Vista-compatible driver." Unfortunatly, there isn't one. As far as I can tell on the Motorola website, they discontinued the product, and only ever produced drivers through Windows XP.

So, the device works... It'll just cause a blue screen of death at random times. Any thoughts? How can I stop this from happening without an updated manufacturer driver? Do I have to go out and lay down the cash for yet ANOTHER wireless adapter? (GRRRR)

If anybody knows of an updated driver for this, too, let me know.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the exact model of the Motorola USB adapter?

3. dcolem01

dcolem01 Thread Starter

Model: WU830G

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think you may have to purchase a new wireless adapter that does support Vista.

5. dcolem01

dcolem01 Thread Starter

Yeah, that was my thought too. I just hoped it wouldn't be the case. LOL - I'm not sure who I should be fuming at: Microsoft for making their new OS such a compatibility headache or Motorola for discontinuing their product and not bothering to make a working driver for Vista.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/721607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice