1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen Error Just Started Two Days Ago..?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ValcainHD, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ValcainHD

ValcainHD Thread Starter

Okay, so two days ago, I installed EA's Origin, then bought and downloaded Mass Effect, Dead Space, and Battlefield 3 because I was about to get the last cable for my video card. I downloaded and installed these games. Then, when I went to restart my computer I get to my bios post screen, then windows starts up, then a quick blue screen, and then a system recovery option finally came about (after the bios stuff again) and after it automatically fixed whatever problems there were. I didn't make a copy of that error report, but I went onto Origin again, and reinstalled Mass Effect, Dead Space, and BF3 as they got uninstalled in the "fix". Then, I restarted my computer again, and got the blue screen again. Then, I had to go to the system recovery after windows couldnt auto fix the problem. And again, my games got uninstalled and everything else I installed after them. So I said forget it. Now, yesterday, my new power cable for my video card in the mail, and while my computer was off, I simply connected the cable (after removing the side panel, of course) and replaced the panel. And booted up. It booted up perfectly fine. Then, I go to the AMD website and get the driver for my video card. Then, it again, restarts due to needing to for the video card, and everything boots FINE. So.. I install the games again... And play them, then this morning (so I know everything is getting proper power otherwise I wouldn't have been playing all day yesterday), I restart my system again. Apparently, something about them piss off my Windows 7? Or is something wrong with Win7? Is it my HDD? I ran a system restore again and now had to "reinstall" (it was already downloaded, I just had to reboot Win7 to get it to properly recognize it, just like it had to restart when it first installed)

I have an external 320GB harddrive where I think I'm going to be moving my Origin files to. So that when I restart my computer, I can have that unplugged and not have Something about origin interfering with my system.

Here's an error report I DID actually copy.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 6b
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: 0000000000000000
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\031512-27799-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-58484-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please zip together the mentioned dump file and any others in that folder for us to analyze.

What is the history of the drive? How old, how much used, how treated? Yes, the 6b error may be a disk subsystem failure.

Did you install Windows yourself originally? Did you remove all the partitions and create fresh, new ones before installing? Did you do a full or quick format?

3. ValcainHD

ValcainHD Thread Starter

So you want all the files in the en-US folder? I bought the computer off a guy who buys parts and bulk and put the computer together himself. I can speak for how he treated it, but it worked great until just two days ago, and I bought it a month or more ago. Since I've gotten it, the HDD was only moved to put a video card into my computer. And the man installed windows, I dunno how he did it, and it's ran fine before then. I just remembered I was doing a windows update the same night it started giving me these blue screen errors..

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

This is one of the dump files. There may be more.

C:\Windows\Minidump\031512-27799-01.dmp

I realize that you suspect the update, but I'm not so sure. When does the error appear in the boot sequence? What do you see up to then?

Drives can go bad on day 1 or day 10 thousand. That's why the system needs to always be backed up once you get it set up.

5. ValcainHD

ValcainHD Thread Starter

I turn it on, I get the bios/motherboard splash(?) screen, then something flashes, then there comes up a post screen, I believe it's called, then windows starts its loading screen, and once it finishes, the blue screen flashes up real quick. And my computer reboots and instead of starting windows, it goes to a auto recover thing.

I'm on the computer right now, so could it just be 1 sector on the HDD that went bad or something?

Here's a link to the dump files in the minidump folder

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm12r8idew26m1

There's four of them.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you get the loading screen, then Windows has already started to load. So booting is not the problem.

How about Safe Mode or any of the other start options?

I'll analyze those files and come back.

The error you got is rare, I found the reference to hard drives on the net, and all those zeroes, make me not even want to bet your money on what it means right now. It may not mean anything more than "something is wrong", so don't worry about the drive just yet. Unfortunately, errors can be errors, too, and sometimes they are just wrong, or at least unhelpful.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try tapping F8 at boot time to see if you can try getting into Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Last Good, if it is there.

All the dumps say "6b", so no help there.

Did you install any or all Windows Updates at any point?

8. ValcainHD

ValcainHD Thread Starter

The night is started happening, I installed all the updates for my system, and then when it system restored it uninstalled all of them (or maybe most). I'll try the F8 thing and booting in safe mode, etc

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Try Safe Mode.

If you have an external drive, you may want to save yourself some time and trouble by backing up your system after you have all the updates installed, and any other time you want, so you can restore the backup rather than starting from scratch each time.

This also an excellent way to keep your system backed up later. You just install the program in Windows and then create its boot CD inside the program. Use the program to back up your drive. Then, if it won't boot, use the boot CD to start the machine and restore the backup you made from the external drive.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images, 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Acronis True Image For WD (reduced, free version for WD drives - cloning and imaging)
    Acronis True Image For Seagate (DiscWizard) (reduced, free version for Seagate drives - cloning and imaging)
    ODIN (open-source)
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)
    ImageX and GImageX (Geekware. Small images due to "single instancing" and allows partial, selected restore of image parts. Used by Microsoft to apply disk image to drive during "installation" of Windows 7.)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

[​IMG]

So you are saying that the same error came up when you just installed the games, and when you also installed all the updates and then the games?

10. ValcainHD

ValcainHD Thread Starter

Which of those can I use best for an external harddrive? Doesn't Windows have a default recovery that would save my system to use later if something goes wrong?

And, I installed 2 of the games, then updates, then another game. I may have mentioned it before, and I'm forgetting it now, but I forget if I just restarted my computer, or turned it off for the night or whatever, I turned it back on and the problem happened. And every time I've turned it off, I have to spend like 30 minutes going through the process of getting it as it is now again.

And, to be clear, what is the exact sequence that I should do what you're suggesting?

11. ValcainHD

ValcainHD Thread Starter

Also, I just checked. I'm fairly sure these are all the updates from before trying to update at all. So it undid all of them, not just most of them, I believe. So, I'd need to update them again, yes?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Macrium or Paragon are the ones I like. Ye, some versions of Windows make full system backups, but those can make smaller, incremental backups that just record the changes from the original full one, so are fast to make, they allow you to mount the images as drives so you have access to all your files and folders that were backed up inside the image, and so on. You may find them more useful.

You can do a fresh installation, install your updates, and then make a backup.

Then, install the games, one at a time with a reboot in between. If one makes you not boot, you can then restore the stored image and have Windows with all its updates back.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice