1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen error:" Power Driver State Failure"

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rain1290, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently encountered a sudden blue screened error message with the following error that was suggested to research: "Power_Driver_State_Failure". I have only seen the error once thus far, but I fear that I may see it again at some point. It forced a restart, and the rebooting process was rather slow.

My operating system is Windows 8.1, and I have a Lenovo Y510p ideapad (nearly 9 months old).

Is this a significant error? Is there any way to prevent it from returning again?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

~Trav.~

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In order to try and determine the cause I need the minidump created

I would think the report was
    Driver - Power State Failure
    and the usual suspect - BUT by NO MEANS is it necessarily the cause in YOUR case is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

It normally occurs when waking from sleep/hibernation

To send me the minidump file
    go to computer
    expand windows
    scroll to minidump
    open that
    right click the latest dump file and click send to compressed - choose desktop as location
    then on your reply her click go advanced - manage attachments
    browse to where you saved the dump - then open and upload
    then it will be attached to your reply

3. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I saw the error not long after returning from Sleep mode.

From the folder "Minidump", I sent the .dmp file (there was only one) to my desktop, but when I tried to attach it here, a message appeared saying that I do not have permission to open this file. Is there a way to give permission?

Thanks for your help and advice!

~Trav.~

4. Macboatmaster

Have you sent it to the desktop as a compressed file

when you right click and then hold mouse on send to - you choose compressed zip folder
    it then tells you normally that it cannot create that folder in that location and do you wish it to be placed on the desktop

5. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster,

When I right click on the only available file in the folder "Minidump", and then select "Compressed (zipped) folder", an error message appears, saying "File not found or no read permission". Is there anyway to bypass that?

Thanks,

~Trav.~

6. Macboatmaster

Sorry I am a bit confused
    you firstly said that you got it to the desktop as a compressed file but then when you came to attach here you received the message

Now you tell me you have an error message before you even get to the stage of attaching

Please see my screenshot
    IT is NOT a minidump has I do not have a dump on this computer
    I have never had a crash but the principle is the same

The first left facing arrow is the file - your dump file in the folder minidump
    that is where you right click
    the vertical arrow is where you hold the mouse on send
    the large left facing arrow is where you then left click to send to compressed

DO YOU then get the message cannot send to compressed here do you wish to place on desktop

Attached Files:

7. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

I apologize for the confusion. To clarify, on my first attempt, instead of selecting "Compressed (zipped) folder" in the right-click menu (when right-clicking on the only available file inside the folder "Minidump"), I selected "Desktop (create shortcut)", and it successfully created a shortcut icon on my desktop. It was that desktop icon/.dmp file that I initially tried to upload (in post #3) and subsequently received that first error message.

Now, on the second attempt, as in post #5, I received the error "File not found or no read permission" when right-clicking and then selecting "Compressed (zipped) folder" for the same file in the "Minidump" folder (the procedure is the same as shown in your provided screenshot).

I hope this helps. :)

~Trav.~

8. Macboatmaster

right click the dump file - not the minidump folder the actual file
    click copy
    close the window
    right click the desktop
    click paste

does it then allow that

9. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Yes, that worked, although a message came up when I tried to paste to the desktop, stating that "You need administrator permission to copy this file", so I pressed continue, and it copied the file to the desktop.

I just tried to upload that copied file to this message, but the site stated that it is an Invalid File. Then, it says "DO NOT UPLOAD PRIVATE DATA!Please remember that files you upload here will be visible to anyone visiting this site. Do not upload files that contain private information (like customer names)." Are .dmp files supported?

~Trav.~

10. Macboatmaster

when you have it on the desktop
    Have you then right clicked and send to compressed

Then upload

If that does not work and in order to make some progress for you
    Download this
    http://www.resplendence.com/downloads
    The free WHO CRASHED
    open it and then click the analyse tab
    then scroll down to the results and copy and paste not the whole window just the part that gives the dump analysis

It is not as good as the windbg official Microsoft analysis but it will do as a start

11. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Ah, success! Okay, now the "Compressed (zipped) folder" option worked when the .dmp file was successfully pasted onto the desktop!

I will try uploading now. Do you still want me to follow your latest instructions (in post #10)?

~Trav.~

Attached Files:

12. Macboatmaster

Yes you can as it will take me a bit to analyse that on windbg

13. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

Okay, here are the results from the "Crash Dump Analysis" heading:

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 2014-09-26 2:31:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092514-45718-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x153CA0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE00169802060, 0xFFFFF802C11F8C80, 0xFFFFE0017B401820)
    Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2014-09-26 2:31:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE00169802060, 0xFFFFF802C11F8C80, 0xFFFFE0017B401820)
    Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

~Trav.~

14. Macboatmaster

1. It appears it is USB related do you have anything connected USB
    2. What Anti Virus are you using please
    3. Have you recently - before the crash installed any software
    4. There are a couple of recent driver updates for your y510p wireless driver and power management driver - July 2014
    Have you installed these please

15. Rain1290

Rain1290 Thread Starter

1. There is nothing connected to any USB drives/slots (I only connect USB flash disks once in a while)
    2. Windows Defender
    3. I installed Skype exactly two weeks before the crash
    4. I am not certain if the drivers were installed, but the updates are done automatically, so it is possible that they had been installed automatically, as well.

~Trav.~

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice