1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen Error runing defrag or virus scan....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by beginnertech, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beginnertech

beginnertech Thread Starter

(SYS spec)
    Windows ME v4.90
    512 DDR PC2100
    Anti-Virus= McAfee Home Edit 7.0

Any time I try to run Disk Defrag or scan for viruses using McAfee, I get a blue screen error reading

"File Name: VCACHE(01) + 00000E4D Error: 0E: 0028: C004E459"

Pressing any key will cause....

1) Another error reading "Error: 0D: 0246: 015F1AF1"
    2)The message "Windows Protection Error. You need to restart Windows. System Halted."

I orginaly thought this was solely a McAfee problem and I was told to "Disable write-behind caching for all drives" and did so but the problem remains. Now also when trying to defrag the same error comes up. Is there somethig I can remove or replace to repair the error?

2. dai

dai

start /prog/accessories/system/tools/file checker
    run this first and check the system files
    and try running defrag and virus checker from safe mode

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

1. Scan on-line at http://housecall.trendmicro.com to start this troubleshooting process.

2. If you haven't just paid McCheapie (Mcaffee) for a one year license, get free excellent AVG Anti-virus at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php (give them a vaild email address when registering, they send you a install key mandatory for installing AVG); Uninstall Mcaffee in the Add/Remove Programs control panel; Restart your computer; Double-click the AVG download to start installing AVG.

3. Temporarily disable your screen saver (choose None); Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted). Then run Defrag or Scan Disk; Re-enable your screen saver; Click Apply; Click Ok.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

The proper settings for Scan Disk are:

Start ScanDisk; Check the Standard box; Check Automatically fix errors; click the Advanced button, the settings should be as follows - Display Summary - Always, Log File - Replace Log, Cross-Linked Files - Delete, Lost File Fragments - Free, Check Files For - check (Invalid File Names) should be checked.

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If nothing else works try using System Restore:

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occurring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!