1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skippermike, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skippermike

skippermike Thread Starter

Friends m/board blew so i replaced it with new processor and ram.

Wanted to boot into his original xp installation to backup his my documents folder. On startup blue screen was displayed with error:
    STOP: 0x00000007E (0x0000005, 0xF79E9750, 0xF7C80454, 0xF7C80154)

Installed xp on his second drive so his computer is up and running fine... except for his my documents folder on the other drive. This folder was password protected so i cannot access it when the drive is configured as a slave.

I tried doing a re-install on this drive but still get the blue screen - tried going into safe mode but get an error message stating that setup cannot run under safe mode and will restart.

How can i boot from this drive so as to access the documents folder or, alternatively, is it possible to access this folder when drive is configured as slave. I have admin and user passwords etc for the drive giving problems.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Xperience

Xperience

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
    4. In the right pane, right-click the Start entry, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.
    7. Restart your computer.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did you replace the processor with a different type than was originally installed -- say a non-intel processor? If so and you can boot in Safe Mode, the above may apply.

There are some "7E" possiblilities here, but it's quite possible none may apply. If there is a driver name in that error it would be relevant.

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7e

You should be able to access the My Documents folder when the drive is slaved.

4. Xperience

Xperience

Windows will lock access to the My Documents folder unless your user account is an administrator of the same Windows Installation that the My Documents folder came from, or you are that accounts user.

Post number 2 is a solution from Microsoft, im sure it will help.

5. skippermike

aah, but you see i was stupid): I tried to repair the installation using the repair option (not repair console) and on first restart (of repair installation) from drive it immediately goes to blue screen. Restarting in safe mode tells me that setup cannot run under safe mode and will restart.

I realise i shouldn't have done the repair but just made changes to registry in safe mode as described above. But I did, and am stuck with the same problem.

I get blue screen at boot and cannot enter safe mode due to incomplete setup. And I still need to access that folder - grrr:(

I can access the contents of the drive when it is configured as slave - is it possible to access and make changes to a registry of a drive that is not the boot drive? In this case to make the changes suggested by Xperience...

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know how the SID (Security Identifier) for the folder got changed -- but sometimes these things happen on reinstalls if Windows creates a new user name.

Try "taking possession" of the folder following instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

7. skippermike

I got the info back :) I was trying to work out how to edit the registry files on the problem drive - thought about backup and restore... I am currently restoring the files to my friends new documents folder :) The backup facility that comes with xp seems to be able to access protected folders.

I will try to take possession of of the folder as advised, thanks, just to check out how it works for interests sake.

Thanks for all the help - much appreciated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice